Unexplainable RF Power levels

BuyingOffDeath

Joined Oct 15, 2022
I have an RF Explorer to use to scan what RF's are around me. I am curious as I'm am just getting in learning about wireless transmission and propagation. However I can't explain these power levels of -10 dbm all the way to -0.

The RF Explorer does seem to be working correctly just based off of measuring my home wifi routers signal strength. I have not had ot professionally checked out to be accurate. But I have a wireless frequency counter that is also show frequencies showing up on it in that same spectrum.

That and I have a cheap rf signal detector that goes off at rando times when I have the sensitivity turned all the way down. I can't even get anything I have to set ot off withing a foot. But it will spike randomly..

How much power would you have to transmit with to reach these numbers if it was confirmed that my equipment it proven to be operating correctly?

Also any ideas on what kind of device or equipment that could transmit at such said frequency power levels? I just wonder is it even possible or is it not... I wish I could do the math but that's the one thing that has always been my akiles heal...

Thanks

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So -10 dBm means 10 dB down from 1 milliwatt.

\( -10\text{ dBm}\;=\;10\cdot log\left(\cfrac{.1\text{ milliwatt}}{1\text{ milliwatt}}\right) \)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think unexplained is the correct word, not unexplainable. There are RF sources everywhere.
Also, a weak source that was close to you would look the same as a powerful source that was further away.
In amateur radio it is not uncommon to receive signals that are as weak as -130 dBm from distant sources especially using CW or weak signal modes like FT8.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Sorry I am not using (how far I can) the dB scale, because health normative regulations are edited in V/m; A/m; W/m2. Its too much job of converting everything to the wrong units. But as the fact, anything near the normative legal value is easy to find in everyday life around people. Let begin to sniff what is wrong if the values are overstepped multiple-fold, and be scared if 10 or 100 fold. Such scary places I know in my million city only two places, both near the TV towers

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
So -10 dBm means 10 dB down from 1 milliwatt.

\( -10\text{ dBm}\;=\;10\cdot log\left(\cfrac{.1\text{ milliwatt}}{1\text{ milliwatt}}\right) \)
Yea, BUT, dB may happen to be voltage or amperage decibels, then 20 log and another refence value, but MAIN resaon to keep away from those disgusting units is IPCC doccument staid in bottom of all possible lands and governments regulations for health impact of excessive RF radiation. Even if some lands are sticking to IPCC-97 or other to IPCC-2005 or other, the BASIS is 1) did Your exposition doze is less than tabulated V/m 2) the same about A/m 3) the same about W/m2. If solely ONE of these measurements are stepping out, go to court, You`ll succeed. Purely scientifically, I had the question before bought the measurers, if V/m we can recalculatte toward A/m and both to W/m2, then why to measure all three? Answer is prost - just in the real laife and real places NEVER IS IN THE FORCE elementary formula V/m * A/m = W/m2. One step left and You have 100; 10 and 500 (figures fictional) but one step right and shall have the 200; 2 and 700. Obviously, 100x10 is not equal to 200x2 and nor 100x10=500, nor 200x2=700. Probably, I guess, that is real face of interference in the city obstacles, maybe. All I said is in force in the near zone of antenna, exclusively.

Last edited: