PLease help me will pay £200 for starters, just need help to design circuit

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you want to try a software approach with your recordings, the freeware Audacity has various equalisation and noise reduction features.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Please SKL001 can u explain what components you used to remove 60hz in your project please. That will be really helpful. I know I have got off on the wrong foot with your community therefore they will only discuss subject rather than object... Understandable. But I really just need to be pointed in the right direction and I can take it from there. Can you please explain how you managed to remove 60hz, what process did you use, which components, much appreciated, many thanks Jonty
Try a LM567 Tone Decoder.
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS006975.PDF

Personally I think you need a computer and software and not a hardware fix. Have you done a simple search for "how to remove hiss/noise from audio files" But as other have suggested, fixing the cause of the hiss would still be cheaper than designing a electrical circuit to remove noise.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I assure you that people could hear my Fender Tremolo amp in the back row, and even down the street. And my knobs only went to 10. ;)
But not if your band was looking to be professional. Even the smallest dance bars around here use a mixing board for the band.

Jontyleff

Joined Feb 17, 2019
Try a LM567 Tone Decoder.
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS006975.PDF

Personally I think you need a computer and software and not a hardware fix. Have you done a simple search for "how to remove hiss/noise from audio files" But as other have suggested, fixing the cause of the hiss would still be cheaper than designing a electrical circuit to remove noise.
Lm567 tone decoder YES thank you. Than you one and all for all of your help, comments, ideas and inspiration my favorite EEA the video of the Russian last explaining sound waves that was epic! Much appreciated community thanks Jonty

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Jonty said that the reflected echo has a certain high frequency emitted. A cheap single speaker has a peak in its response at about 4kHz due to "cone breakup". That is one reason that a woofer is used only for low frequencies and a tweeter produces the highs. The cheap speaker is very directional at high frequencies so the band does not hear the high frequency peak but the reflection is heard.

Another high frequency sound is fuzz or overdrive distortion that cannot be heard clearly by the band unless its sound is reflected to them as an echo.

Here is a frequency response graph showing the peak caused by cone breakup:

Attachments

Jontyleff

Joined Feb 17, 2019
Thanks again for all your help community. Sorry for taking up so much time on one thread!
However, once again I am asking to borrow your knowledge.
Can you explain to me what the following means in layman's terms. My education in circuits is extremely limited.

"The LM567 and LM567C are general purpose tone decoders designed to provide a saturated transistor Resistor switch to ground when an input signal is present within the passband. The circuit consists of an I and Q detector driven by a voltage controlled oscillator which determines the center frequency of the decoder. External components are used to independently set center frequency, bandwidth and output delay."
Many thanks, Best Jonty

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You said that the sound you want to remove is Hiss. Hiss is caused by one defective part inside an amplifier. Get the noisy amplifier fixed or replaced.
Ordinary rock and roll Fuzz sounds something like hiss. Turn off the fuzz and play clean sounds.

Hiss and fuzz contain many high frequencies. Both can be reduced by turning down the treble tone control so that the music becomes muffled.

When an LM567 receives the one frequency it is set for, its output goes to 0V to light an LED or turn on something. A bunch of them were used many years ago to detect each different tone from a touch-tone telephone. If you have a microphone and preamp feeding an LM567 sounds from your band then its output will randomly flutter from hiss or fuzz because both sounds are random.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Thanks again for all your help community. Sorry for taking up so much time on one thread!
However, once again I am asking to borrow your knowledge.
Can you explain to me what the following means in layman's terms. My education in circuits is extremely limited.

"The LM567 and LM567C are general purpose tone decoders designed to provide a saturated transistor Resistor switch to ground when an input signal is present within the passband. The circuit consists of an I and Q detector driven by a voltage controlled oscillator which determines the center frequency of the decoder. External components are used to independently set center frequency, bandwidth and output delay."
Many thanks, Best Jonty
NOTE: Please disregard this post. I was "out-of-my-head" when I wrote it!

A typical LM567 circuit, depending on the components selected, will pass(passband) a frequency, or range of frequencies to an output device(such as speakers). All other frequencies(sound) will be filtered out. This really is the opposite of what you really need. You want to keep everything except a certain frequency or range of frequencies. In other words, all music will disappear except the music that has like frequencies as the ones this device will pass. I don't know...don't believe this device can form a notch filtering system, such as what you would need. You would probably need two to create the filtering. In the end, this is something that can be done much easier with software.

All said, this really is not your solution, despite my mentioning of it earlier. Perhaps you can talk to some other bands that have better audio systems than you and quiz them as to what might help...either different mixing equipment.

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
A typical LM567 circuit, depending on the components selected, will pass(passband) a frequency, or range of frequencies to an output device(such as speakers). All other frequencies(sound) will be filtered out.
The LM567 is not a filter-- bandpass, band-reject, lowpass, highpass, or otherwise. It does not "pass" some frequencies and reject others, not does it modify the signal it is fed in any way. The LM567 is simply a tone detector, as @Audioguru indicated: when a signal within a certain frequency range is presented to it, its output turns on. Otherwise, the output is off. And that's ALL it does.

It is not applicable to what the TS is trying to accomplish here (whatever that is).

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The LM567 is not a filter-- bandpass, band-reject, lowpass, highpass, or otherwise. It does not "pass" some frequencies and reject others, not does it modify the signal it is fed in any way. The LM567 is simply a tone detector, as @Audioguru indicated: when a signal within a certain frequency range is presented to it, its output turns on. Otherwise, the output is off. And that's ALL it does.

It is not applicable to what the TS is trying to accomplish here (whatever that is).
My bad. You are absolutely correct. It's been so long since I used one. I'll have to be a bit more careful when offering help. I appreciate the correction!
i

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Actually it's not the feedback it's a hiss that is the problem
You are trying to reinvent Dolby.

I am really having a hard time following this, but... What is the source of the "hiss"? Where is it "returning" to? Are you miking the reinforcement gear in a club and getting amp noise? If so, you are probably doing it wrong. Are you using a return on the board? If so, the board stinks. But, if you can characterize the "hiss" by it's frequency spectra, you can use some pre-emphasis in the manner of FM broadcast radio, or like Dolby noise reduction. On the other hand, you can probably just use a parametric EQ when you mix it down to notch out the sound if it really is hiss.

When I recorded in a club, I took a return from the board, and set up mikes in the house. The house mikes were not right at the speakers, and the noise of the amps wasn't an issue.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
TS has not said what he is trying to do. It could very well be he is attempting to record a live performance in a pub and trying to eliminate the hiss emitting from the beer tap.:D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Jonty said that the sounds produced by the band produce hiss but the sounds reflected off a wall sound fine so maybe distance or a soft covering on the wall muffles away the hiss.

He doesn't understand that reducing the hiss by muffling it reduces all high audio frequencies in the music while reducing the hiss.

I suspect that the hiss is produced by a "pedal" or a microphone preamp for vocals with an old poorly designed circuit.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I suspect he just needs to use an equalizer and probably to spend his dosh on a good recording engineer.
Especially when you consider that removing hiss has been worked on since the beginning of recorded audio, and even today’s state of the art (software) isn’t perfect. The odds of a successful DIY device from a novice are not good.