New Batteries For EV's

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
and charging stations more widespread and maintained better.
Again with the charging station thing. The only EV I'm familiar with that takes a special charging station is Tesla. The rest have the charging inverter in the car. Charging for them is as close as a 120V or 240V outlet, the car is made to take either one.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Will you actually own one of the new EV Software Defined Cars?
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...arlong-review-update-5-subscription-servives/

We’re Paying $650/Year to Subscribe to Our Ford F-150 Lightning
The era of the car as a subscription service is upon us.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/13/23206999/car-subscription-nightmare-heated-seats-remote-start
But industry analysts have said that subscriptions are coming to mass-market vehicles as mainstream automakers look for new revenue streams to help fund their enormously expensive plans to build vehicles that are electric, connected, and autonomous.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Originally EVs were seen as something that would reduce "local" pollution, then somehow, they became this panacea that will save the planet.

Considering how most electricity is produced and the other myriad of issues me thinks that was a little premature.

But personally, I think EVs are pretty cool...And would like to see the issues solved...but please stop the hype.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Will you actually own one of the new EV Software Defined Cars?
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...arlong-review-update-5-subscription-servives/

We’re Paying $650/Year to Subscribe to Our Ford F-150 Lightning
The era of the car as a subscription service is upon us.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/13/23206999/car-subscription-nightmare-heated-seats-remote-start
A friend has an Audi
They pay per month to have maps , and seat warmers and adaptive cruise control. That's a petrol .
Another friend has a ,binthink it's a Skoda / VW. They can't now connect phone as the SW on the car is not compatible with there new Apple phone. ..
But
I don't think that is not a lot to do with should we be driving vehicles that burn historically stored sun.
Once we make that decision to drop ice cars , then the rest is just engineering.
And we are good at that.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Again with the charging station thing. The only EV I'm familiar with that takes a special charging station is Tesla. The rest have the charging inverter in the car. Charging for them is as close as a 120V or 240V outlet, the car is made to take either one.
People i have talked to around here use charging stations.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What bothers me about electric vehicles, is their batteries' durability ... it is my understanding that they have an average lifespan of 10 years. After that, buying a new battery costs about 1/3 of what a new EV would cost.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Price is imho not a good indication of should we or should we not use something.
It's important to those that have no choice, but as others have said , I'd not like to force every one to purchase a petrol car ,
Well the context was to compare the EV's with the ICE cars for price. Which is the cheapest right now.
The last i checked the cheapest EV was way up there and many people just cannot do it.
As to the use, yeah, if you can afford it you can use it otherwise you can't ever use it.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
What bothers me about electric vehicles, is their batteries' durability ... it is my understanding that they have an average lifespan of 10 years. After that, buying a new battery costs about 1/3 of what a new EV would cost.
It's "just" engineering.
I remember ice cars used to be doing good if they got 20 miles per gallon.
Now it's up to 80 area , but the options seem to be deminishing to improve.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Some car batteries are guaranteed for life now. Not sure if that passes to a 2nd owner.
Yeah $8k or more.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's "just" engineering.
I remember ice cars used to be doing good if they got 20 miles per gallon.
Now it's up to 80 area , but the options seem to be deminishing to improve.
It's not "just" engineering, it's mass-scale manufacturing models that encompass engineering that delivers affordability to the regular guy like the Model-A car.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Have you priced a ICE car lately? The EV's are very similar to them, not like they used to be.
That will continue and within a year or two, EVs will actually be cheaper for comparable vehicles. Tesla isn't just redesigning cars, they're redesigning the entire manufacturing process and squeezing out costs. ICE vehicles will carry a premium price and customers will pay that premium to avoid perceived disadvantages of an EV, to get longer range, to compensate for a lack of charge infrastructure, and so on. In a decade ICE vehicles will probably become somewhat of an oddity. Of course they'll be on the road for decades long after the last one rolls off an assembly line.

The dynamic I'm curious about is the impact and future of gas prices. Decreasing demand for gas, due to increased EV adoption, should lower gas prices in the short run. Lower gas prices, if they last, would depress EV adoption. But then oil refineries will shut down, the least efficient ones will go first, and this will shift the supply-demand curve. As gas volume and new capital investment goes down, gasoline prices might actually increase and thereby accelerate EV adoption.