New Batteries For EV's

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Yes i was wondering the same thing ha ha.

If we ever get these batteries actually going it would be nice though.
Charging batteries will never, ever be as convenient, fast, or effective as pumping a tank of gas.

I will not be convinced otherwise until Mr. Musk launches an electric rocket.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sodium is a lot more common than lithium, it is also very flammable. So between the two sodium and lithium batteries which burns hotter when they catch on fire?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Charging batteries will never, ever be as convenient, fast, or effective as pumping a tank of gas.

I will not be convinced otherwise until Mr. Musk launches an electric rocket.
Yes charging is not as fast, but there was also talk of swapping out battery packs to make a "fill up" faster.

But still, seems like all car manufacturers are going EV now, so better battery technology is on the horizon.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Yes charging is not as fast, but there was also talk of swapping out battery packs to make a "fill up" faster.

But still, seems like all car manufacturers are going EV now, so better battery technology is on the horizon.
Yup. Only ever 5 years away. Just like fusion.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Fossil fuels may be phased out in the same time frame, although probably not. Eventually they will be gone.
I will bet you my life savings that fossil fuels are here to stay for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond, *excepting* a wholesale conversion to nuclear power world-wide -- and even then I have serious doubts.

It is physically impossible to power the world's population on wind and solar, unless you also have a plan to dramatically reduce the population as well (and, yes, there are evil ones that do).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is the past. We had better learn how to do things differently in the future. The current fossil fuel usage is unsustainable not because we don't have the fuels but because we must learn to do it a different way.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
That is the past. We had better learn how to do things differently in the future. The current fossil fuel usage is unsustainable not because we don't have the fuels but because we must learn to do it a different way.
I have learned to laugh at those who hate prosperity.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I wouldn't call the expected rise temperature causing weather extremes and expected sea water levels rise prosperity. Though I would love to be proved wrong.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I wouldn't call the expected rise temperature causing weather extremes and expected sea water levels rise prosperity. Though I would love to be proved wrong.
Sure. Mass death-by-starvation and exposure is preferable.

They got 100 million in the 20th century. Going for the record in 21!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Fortunately they won’t be doing that much longer so it seems. The US has the largest lithium deposit found so far and will be producing from it soon. The factory on the Salton Sea is under construction.
There is no way the environmentalists will allow mining in the US in the quantities required for an "all electric" future.

I also laugh at such naivety.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There is no way the environmentalists will allow mining in the US in the quantities required for an "all electric" future.

I also laugh at such naivety.
+1
https://www.opb.org/article/2022/08/03/lithium-mining-oregon-alvord-desert-playa/
Company scraps lithium project in Oregon’s Alvord Desert
An Australian company is calling it quits on a lithium project in southeast Oregon’s Alvord Desert.

The Reedy Lagoon Corporation, a mineral explorer based outside Melbourne, announced Friday that it would stop work on its project near the town of Fields, Oregon, after finding out the land was off limits to new mining.

It’s the second lithium project to flop in Harney County this summer as companies look to cash in on the United States’ hunger for the mineral known as “white gold.” Lithium is the main ingredient in batteries for electric vehicles, consumer electronics and energy storage.