sleigh.za

Joined Oct 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to designing schematics and PCB's and have only ever done simple circuits up until now. I have tried my hand at designing my very first ESP32 based Dev board. I know that these can be bought for fairly cheap already, but wanted to have a go at actually designing my own version for my own learning.
I have run the ERC checker in KiCad but don't always trust it to be thorough enough. I was hoping that you guys could take a look through my schematic and have any corrections, advice or tips. I love all corrections or criticism as it helps me to learn, so don't sugar coat it.
Thanks

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Looks OK to me on 1st look. One thing that annoys me on ESP32 dev-kits is the lack of a user programmable LED like on Arduinos. Being able to load a simple 'blink' program to verify the board is working, or drop a line to flash the LED into code to aid debugging is so useful.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Typically pin
Looks OK to me on 1st look. One thing that annoys me on ESP32 dev-kits is the lack of a user programmable LED like on Arduinos. Being able to load a simple 'blink' program to verify the board is working, or drop a line to flash the LED into code to aid debugging is so useful.
Annoying to some and beneficial to others who try to minimize current draw for low power devices. I prefer using the barebones Wroom32 board and mount them as SMD devices to my main board with my specified LED as needed.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Typically pin

Annoying to some and beneficial to others who try to minimize current draw for low power devices. I prefer using the barebones Wroom32 board and mount them as SMD devices to my main board with my specified LED as needed.
Which I do too. But having it there doesn't increase current draw; just don't turn it on! The biggest current savings are off-boarding the USB interface and moving to an OTA environment with minimal transmissions.