How to interface CMOS image sensors with 32-bit Microcontrollers?

z_iron

Joined May 24, 2020
I've been learning to program 32-bit ARM cortex-M controllers with an STM32 Nucleo (L476rg Nucleo). I've been playing with interfacing and controlling stepper motors so far. My next step is to move on to machine/computer vision and incorporate image sensing however upon some searching (hopefully there is something i've missed) theres almost little to no documentation or resources I can find on doing this. There are CMOS image sensor modules like the VG6640 from STM I've been looking at (STM's VG CMOS series as a whole) however the issue again is there isn't much information regarding interfacing camera/image sensors with a microcontroller. Are there any good resources/tutorials/documentations that discuss this topic and serial communication between the particular microcontroller and camera modules I've discussed?

Also is a Cortex-M4 processor powerful enough to handle basic image sensor data and run basic algorithms on the images for object detection? Im guessing additional flash memory is needed but is the processor itself powerful enough?

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I've been learning to program 32-bit ARM cortex-M controllers with an STM32 Nucleo (L476rg Nucleo). I've been playing with interfacing and controlling stepper motors so far. My next step is to move on to machine/computer vision and incorporate image sensing however upon some searching (hopefully there is something i've missed) theres almost little to no documentation or resources I can find on doing this. There are CMOS image sensor modules like the VG6640 from STM I've been looking at (STM's VG CMOS series as a whole) however the issue again is there isn't much information regarding interfacing camera/image sensors with a microcontroller. Are there any good resources/tutorials/documentations that discuss this topic and serial communication between the particular microcontroller and camera modules I've discussed?

Also is a Cortex-M4 processor powerful enough to handle basic image sensor data and run basic algorithms on the images for object detection? Im guessing additional flash memory is needed but is the processor itself powerful enough?
Frankly if I were interested in that I'd initially seek to connect one to a desktop PC and use a rich development and debugging environment to study the problem and explore code etc. That's where I'd do all the research, expewriementation etc. No MCU stuff - at that stage.

Then once I had insight and understanding and an appreciation of the imaging device, I'd consider what needs to be done on the MCU.

I have a couple of boards but not done much the past few months - This is the Nucleo I have.

I use MS Visual Studio 2019 with VisualGDB,

Last edited:

z_iron

Joined May 24, 2020
Frankly if I were interested in that I'd initially seek to connect one to a desktop PC and use a rich development and debugging environment to study the problem and explore code etc. That's where I'd do all the research, expewriementation etc. No MCU stuff - at that stage.

Then once I had insight and understanding and an appreciation of the imaging device, I'd consider what needs to be done on the MCU.

I have a couple of boards but not done much the past few months - This is the Nucleo I have.

I use MS Visual Studio 2019 with VisualGDB,
Hey, thanks for the reply. I figured I'd go with the experimentation stage later trying to implement algorithms etc. I'm more interested in the hardware connectivity as of right now. I think I should've proposed in the original post instead: getting an image sensor module to display its output on a PC through an STM microcontroller without any kind of computer vision algorithm applied.

Btw are you implying tools like OpenCV for general experimentation?