An LED Chaser based on a 555 and 4017.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
0182 should be easy to do, just drive the bar from every other output on the SqW.
Another option is to alternate comet tail on ring with throbbing of all ring LEDs- if Rx, # 31, ground connections were instead all connected to a common buss line. When selected the buss would be driven from output of a 555 .

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Another approach I thought would be to have the same amount of LEDs in the straight line and in the square wave (just on the high and low segments). Then on the vertical edges, light them all when the edge is reached.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Good suggestion, djsfantasi, just use an 18 bit SR to drive the bar & parallel vertical segments on SqW driver. Would be better to parallel the LEDs using just one driver stage for 4 LEDs. Was just easier to draw.
.Dan\'s Plaque #4 00000.jpg

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Personally I prefer CMos much less finicky overTTll I use this as anLEDdriver from a cmos gate.

CMOS2LED.GIF

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am looking for a list of parts and their datasheets Turnsou ttype D flip flopare pretty common I keep4013 for breadboarding.. and cheap. Sorry I'm not being more help.

DanielLitwin

Joined Mar 23, 2017
You just graduated from awesome to scary.

ak
how does making the number of LEDs on the Top Bar and square wave equal make this more complicated? Obviously I'll still have to cascade, but it would work the same way as the knight right circuit I attached above... Under normal knight rider chasing, the LEDs chase from left to right; and the repeat in reverse. With the added diodes and mirrored LEDs, it duplicates the effect; but when I did that I thought that the main principal was to have the same number of LEDs. Am I totally wrong?

DanielLitwin

Joined Mar 23, 2017
Looks like it hasn'been maintained in a long while
yeah, sorry, I work at a start up so this has had to take kind of a back seat for a minute as we are very busy! :) Thank you all for the help you've given me so far, I did not know there was an electronics community that actually cared to see someone succeed on a project.

-Dan

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Time is our most valuable resourse.This site is litter with startup.Iusaully getback to them in a year or two.no gig deal.

DanielLitwin

Joined Mar 23, 2017
I think having = no. of LEDs is mostly a mechanical problem. I like post
#42. Should make a nice 18 bit knight rider.
Well I had drawn out the Actual company logo with 0603 and 0805 SMD LEDs and to make it smooth it would be 45; but i squeezed out a symmetrical design with 39. The reasoning behind this was that I was originally planning on cascading four 4017 decade counters (using the last output left unused. Though with Wendy's idea about using shift registers, I'm willing to alter my ideas on the design. I will post a photo in a moment when I switch to my work computer.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I think with 4- 4017s that there would be 33 outputs?
On Dan's Plaque #2, inserting one bit is an erroneous example, will require more circuitry.
Dan's Plaque #5 is an attempt to show up / down shift registers making a knight rider display that has a leading & trailing tail. Length of tail depends on diodes used, Si, Shottky, or Ge. , Vcc. , LED color, driving pairs of LEDs?, & if LED drivers are used. This started as a disadvantage when OP was attempting to make a bar graph & following LEDs kept getting dimmer & dimmer-- like a comet tail?
I could not find an 8 bit up/ down SR so used 4 bit 74HC194, but only one string is required rather than 2 with 4017 or like 74HC164, uni-directional SR.Dan\'s Plaque #5 00000.jpg

DanielLitwin

Joined Mar 23, 2017
yeah that could cause issues. I attached a file for Wendy to look at as it might make visualization easier.

In the .GIF, the top string would represent the top bar of LEDs, while the bottom string would represent the square wave (which seems to be confusing some people).

With that said; either this (where the previous LEDs stays on until reset) or the chaser where it's only one--two in my case--stay on at a time is fine. It is just for fun

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
This print is over a year old from a dead project, but shows another way to make a long, up to 256 bit, bidirectional chaser. 'Think tails could be added.
For ring, might consider a marque style where total string is divided into groups of 4 LEDs. Then each group
is a 4 bit chaser & all groups are paralleled.Stream 11 A 00000.jpg

DanielLitwin

Joined Mar 23, 2017
This print is over a year old from a dead project, but shows another way to make a long, up to 256 bit, bidirectional chaser. 'Think tails could be added.
For ring, might consider a marque style where total string is divided into groups of 4 LEDs. Then each group
is a 4 bit chaser & all groups are paralleled.View attachment 124285
is a 4 bit chaser & all groups are paralleled.View attachment 124285

So can this operate up to 32 LEDs? Or am I looking at Q1 and Q2 incorrectly?