show your picture,one by one

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
Happy,showing us a man world in China,we respect you as being In China
when women will be equal,In our eyes you represent China. Look luck to you
as big changes are being made. You and the China Dancing girl makes our minds feel
better. In the U.S. you would be in the picture with other females. Good Luck
Loosewire.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Ingestion of potassium iodide (KI) helps protect from radioactive iodine (mostly \(^{131}\)I) produced in these reactor accidents. KI blocks its uptake and concentration by the thyroid gland. Without KI, one would run the risk of becoming hypothyroid or getting thyroid cancer as a result of exposure to the radiation.

KI is not normally sold over the counter in the US, except to people who live in the vicinity of reactors. Most salt sold in the US is "iodized" as a preventative measure against goiter from lack of iodine in the diet. The amount of iodine in ordinary table salt may not be therapeutically sufficient to protect against significant exposure, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

John

Edit: I had to look up some numbers. The normal daily recommended amount of iodine is given as 110 micrograms. My Morton Iodized Salt has 45% of that in 1.5 gm. Thus, one gram has 33 ug of iodine (probably means iodide equivalent, not KI). The drug Iostat, which is for therapeutic KI in radiation exposure, contains 130 mg per tablet. I am not sure of the usual prescribing dose. I suspect it is not more than one tablet a day. One reference I saw said 13 mg of KI per day was therapeutic. Four grams of salt per day is not unusual in the US, but that still has only about 1/100 to 1/1000 of the KI needed to be therapeutic. Asian diets, particularly those who live near the ocean, typically have many times the KI as in the usual American diet.
 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
157
Ingestion of potassium iodide (KI) helps protect from radioactive iodine (mostly \(^{131}\)I) produced in these reactor accidents. KI blocks its uptake and concentration by the thyroid gland. Without KI, one would run the risk of becoming hypothyroid or getting thyroid cancer as a result of exposure to the radiation.

KI is not normally sold over the counter in the US, except to people who live in the vicinity of reactors. Most salt sold in the US is "iodized" as a preventative measure against goiter from lack of iodine in the diet. The amount of iodine in ordinary table salt may not be therapeutically sufficient to protect against significant exposure, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

John
If someday here are lack of some thing,I will buy from U.S.you guys help me to buy and post here:D
 

Thread Starter

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
157

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Iodine is sometimes used as an additive to table salt. And iodine tablets are used as thyroid protection. You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potass...tion_due_to_nuclear_accidents_and_emergencies
As Bill said an urban myth. But with some foundation in real science.
Be sure to also purchase a lot of beer to counteract the negative impact of to much salt:p
Use of KI to treat radio-iodine exposure is NOT an urban myth. It is a proven therapeutic modality. For more detail, see my edited post above. One big unknown is how much iodine is in the person's diet. Living near the ocean and eating lots of marine food can give one significantly more natural KI than a typical person living in Montana (mountain oysters don't count).

John

Edit: Here is the recommended FDA dosage per day of exposure:

Age 18+* -----------130mg daily (One IOSAT tablet)
Age 3 - 18 -----------65mg daily (1/2 IOSAT tablet) - Adolescents approaching adult size should receive the full adult dose (130 mg).
1 month - 3 yrs. ----- 32mg daily (1/4 IOSAT tablet)
Birth - 1 month ----- 16mg daily (1/8 IOSAT tablet)
 
Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
I did NOT say that iodine tablet has no effects. Read my post once more. But using salt as KI source. Well the effect if any is highly uncertain at best
 

Thread Starter

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
157
Now local forum are many jokes about "salt".

female:do you have a house?
male: no
f: do you have money?
m:no
f: do you have salt?
m:yes I have
f:honey...
 

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
How many kilo salt did you purchase happy. I will recommend that you sell it while the market still are good. After some time it will be hard to get rid of I am afraid.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Does your salt come labeled with the amount of KI or iodine/iodide in it? Is it "sea salt" and is it refined or relatively unrefined?

First priority for KI supplement in therapeutic amounts should go to young women and particularly pregnant women. I vaguely remember that you live near the coast and somewhat across from Japan. It is important to know whether you have exposure before taking the KI. Its effects are not lasting. If you use up your supply before the "cloud" hits, you may not have any when you need it. Moreover, taking it without exposure may deny someone who needs it from getting it. Iodine is effective in almost any form. Even elemental iodine will work (See: Lugol's solution, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugol's_iodine). However, elemental iodine is definitely not palatable, and you must use more caution taking it.

John

Edit: Warning

I am not recommending anyone play DIY pharmacist. Be sure you know what you are taking and how much. Be absolutely sure if you obtain something from someone else that smells medicinal and looks like iodine that it is in fact what it is labeled. In times of public panic, many people with no conscience will sell counterfeit and dangerous things just to make money. For example, Mercurochrome is sometimes confused with iodine. It is not and will harm you if taken internally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurochrome
 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
157
yes,we are close to Japan,if i get the news The cloud is coming here,I will not go out.I always afraid any small risk that may danger life.such as when plane shake, I will be very tense. but people around me are calm...:eek:
I am going to rest, good night all.
 

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
From what I have read. About 57 gram of potassium iodate is used pr 1 ton salt then producing iodized salt. It should be quite easy to find out how many Kilo iodized salt you need to get a 130mg dose:rolleyes:
 
Top