show your picture,one by one

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
A better source of iodine might be seaweed, especially kelp. The amount varies a lot but can be up to 0.45% of dry weight.
It should be readily available in China and as a bonus is very tasty.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
t06afre said:
From what I have read. About 57 gram of potassium iodate is used pr 1 ton salt then producing iodized salt. It should be quite easy to find out how many Kilo iodized salt you need to get a 130mg dose:rolleyes:
I think you mean potassium iodide.

I did the calculation above for a common American salt producer. However, as also mentioned, the amount of KI in salt that is sold locally may depend a great deal on its source.

John
 

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
I think you mean potassium iodide.

I did the calculation above for a common American salt producer. However, as also mentioned, the amount of KI in salt that is sold locally may depend a great deal on its source.
John
Potassium iodate (KIO3) is used in tabble salt. Potassium iodide (KI) is used in the iodine tablets. I have found out. That 1 tablet equals 80 tablespoons of iodized salt:eek:.
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Potassium iodate (KIO3) is used in tabble salt. Potassium iodide (KI) is used in the iodine tablets. I have found out. That 1 tablet equals 80 tablespoons of iodized salt:eek:.
I was referring to Morton's iodized salt in the US, which uses KI. It was what I had available in the kitchen. Apparently, potassium iodate is used in some countries, including interestingly enough, China (http://www.saltinstitute.org/content/download/12558/79046/file/Global Iodization Table.pdf).

John
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
Is the stuff in the kit depleted?
Probably not. That kit looks like it is from the 1950's -- last century. People in the US were not nearly as sensitive to radiation hazards then as we are now. It was even used to treat acne (egads!) and most shoe stores had fluoroscopes so you could see how new shoes fit. Kids will be kids. My brother and I played with them, like making shadow figures on the wall with our hands. Atomic bomb tests were announced, and we would get up early (SoCal) to see the glow from over the mountains.

John
 

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
Hey Mark, can I have the code..Me too like to have a four decimal one..been thinking about it but haven't had much luck to take some time off.
Version 1.0 is now ready for the PIC16F819
It's not my neatest code but it works OK.
The display updates about every second and shows the average of 16384 samples.
The left two buttons decrease and increase the maximum voltage of the displayed range up to a maximum of 65.35V (so that it can be used with a voltage divider to measure higher voltages or to compensate for a supply that isn't exactly 5V).
It saves this setting to eeprom.
The right two buttons display the minimum and maximum measured voltage in the last sample period.
The LEDs do nothing but I might find a use for them if I make a version 1.1.
I made the PCB layout with PCB designer so I can supply various formats if anyone wants to make the board exactly as shown.




 

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
10,010
If it is not too much to do, is it possible to avoid the switches.
What I wanna do is use the voltmeter in my PSU. No need for min max values or anything. I just like to read what is at the terminal. Noting fancy.

My desire is 00.00V to 40.00V. I like to have the two dp places for accuracy

:eek: Holy cow!! Ur code is giving me the Doozy :D

Can you code it pls so it is possible to view from the post..
u know the fancy way.
 

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
Yes, the code is very messy.
Unfortunately I can't put the code in the post because it is too big.
If you don't want the switches, just don't connect any, it will still work fine.
For 40 Volts, change the line:
DE 0x13, 0x8D ;stores saved multiplier for max voltage on scale
to
DE 0x9C, 0x68 ;which is (40000x1024)/1023
You could have a fine tuning potentiometer on the voltage divider so that you can adjust it (most 5V regulators are only accurate to about 1%) or you could keep the first 2 buttons but have them inside the case.
 
Top