show your picture,one by one

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
833
Don't they connect aluminum electrolytics backwards to high voltage?
That's what my students do in the lab, and not intentionally.
Or short a rectifier diode across the transformer.
That's what I did once when I was in the store cuboard at school. I found a bucket filled with PP3's, so I snapped about 12 in series and used some crocodile clips to connect a nice fat capacitor backwards, just before shouting a few mates over to "see this".

It made a bit more smoke than expected so, we quickly threw the batteries back and kicked the cap under a shelf. :eek:

But that's a well nice place Strom!

It reminds me of the first time I went to the electronic engineering department of a university (Nottingham). I nearly wet myself with excitement!:D
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
But that's a well nice place Strom!

It reminds me of the first time I went to the electronic engineering department of a university (Nottingham). I nearly wet myself with excitement!:D
That's one problem I have with working here. Since the equipment is intended for school use in labs, I am rarely allowed to use the components and equipment for my own personal use. If there was one thing I could change about my job, that would be it.
 

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
833
Fair do's, Strom.

Thanks for asking Mr Chips. I live in a town called St Ives which sits on the River Great Ouse. Most of the it is a slow flowing, placid river. But walking over the bridge the other day the river was really very high, and very angry. The main flow was all over the place, much more like a spate river. The town is actually built on floodplains, but fortunately, the town sits on gravel, so it escapes the worst of the flooding.

Here's the bridge, it's one of only two or three in the country which has a chapel on it.


Saying that, the surrounding fields are well under water.

I'm waiting for the school to flood. :D

Please, before the physics test on Thursday. ;)
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,194
As I was walking to St. Ives
I met a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven sacks;
Each sack had seven cats;
Each cat had seven kits.
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?
 

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
434
Don't they connect aluminum electrolytics backwards to high voltage?
That's what my students do in the lab, and not intentionally.
Or short a rectifier diode across the transformer.
I had an instructor that would do this intentionally. Supposedly it is just to show the students what can happen. I think he just likes the smell. :D
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
My high school physics teacher had us do little more than build robots and mix black powder. Ahh, those were the days! :D
High School Physics? I'm pretty sure my high school did not offer a physics class. Anybody else specifically remember having/not having a physics class in high school?
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
I actually had two, one junior year and one senior. The first was waves (light, sound, electricity), the second was mechanics. Mechanics was by far my most favorite physics class. None of the ones I took in college even began to compare :D
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,848
High School Physics? I'm pretty sure my high school did not offer a physics class. Anybody else specifically remember having/not having a physics class in high school?
Yes, small country school. It was in the electronics lab, and I would have rated quite highly.
 

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
Can you define the curriculum? Newtonian laws, momentum and kinematics? We were being taught on that on the three last years of highschool, ages 16-18.
 

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
We had it, probably 2 hours per week from 11-14 (everyone did the same lessons) then optional after that but more hours if you took it. We had pretty decent labs, the equipment was old and basic but there was lots of it.
 
Top