show your picture,one by one

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
2,689
Blame the autorouter. I don't care about the uniformity so much to change it manually.
If I recall correctly it was supposed to prioritize vertical tracks on the top layer and horizontal on the bottom, or vice versa. I don't remember changing any option for the corners.
I use Eagle 6.2.
I also use the autorouter, but I move the traces back ond forth until I am satisfied. I like it to look neat.
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
Here are a couple of my most recent/ongoing projects. The first on was an experimental board, and there are plenty of things wrong with it. For one, I accidentally mirrored the ICSP header so the PK2 has to be connected upside-down in order for it to program. I also would have preferred to use an SMD PIC18F1330 for this, instead of a DIP. It would have saved a lot of space, but as I said, it's just an experimental board. It's designed to consolidate all ICSP circuitry and the chip onto one board, and arrange ports A and B in two neat rows, so that they can plug into a solderless breadboard.

IMG_5390.jpg
This is the board before it it was populated. There are only two there so that you can see the front and the back.

Capture.jpg
This is the whole thing put together. It's made to plug into the side of the breadboard using the two 8-pin headers for PORTA and PORTB.

The other project I recently completed was the secret knock detector. I'd post photos of the real board, but I don't have my camera with me. Instead I'll post a few 3-D renderings made from the eagle pcb design:


I apologize for the missing parts. I was still trying to get the hang of Eagle3D :rolleyes:

I have since re-designed it to be about a third of the size, since I realized the one I had was much larger than it had to be. Here's the newer design:


Again, sorry for the missing components. Also, the capacitor pins coming through the top of the PIC are due to a bug in the program. But just so you know, there is a bypass capacitor connected to the underside of the board, which is why the leads are where they are.

I made a demonstration video and posted it on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxAOzLCl_w

Sorry about the poor video and audio quality. I have since gotten my hands on a better mic, but I'm still looking for a better camera :D

There you go folks! Two of my most recent projects explained.

Regards,
Matt
 

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
Neat-O! Did you have the first two boards made outside?

(is outside a correct adverb to insinuate that you had them manufactured in a professional shop?)
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
Nice work! Have you considered to use an SMD capacitor, underneath the PIC? I am referring to the second rendered image.
I'm glad you asked. As a matter of fact, this was actually my first PCB design (I'd never used Eagle for PCBs before), so this was a "practice board", so to speak. For that reason I wanted to design the whole thing with regular components. Since this project, however, I've thought more about designing SMD boards with SMD components. I figure my next one will probably be entirely SMD-based. So to answer your question, I didn't think of using an SMD cap under the PIC at first, but I've been thinking more about it lately.

Neat-O! Did you have the first two boards made outside?

(is outside a correct adverb to insinuate that you had them manufactured in a professional shop?)
Hey Geo, sure, "outside" works. An "outside source" is more specific, but they mean the same thing.

I have a friend who owns/works at a PCB manufacturing company, and he agreed to help me with these boards. He's based in China, but their quality is excellent. They're one of the few companies that focuses more on customer satisfaction and loyalty than money (from my point of view, at least). I think I'll probably have most of my boards made by them in the future because of my personal experience. Some day I'll learn to make my own boards, but for the time being it's easier this way :D

Regards,
Matt
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
bump.

Had some free time this afternoon, and I've been wanting to re-familiarize myself with the C language, so I wrote a quick program to list prime numbers between 1 and a user-defined maximum limit. The current program I have running is listing all prime numbers between 1 and 1,000,000,000 (1 billion in US by the way, Geo :D). It's been running for the past 4 hours and it's listing prime numbers in the 5,000,000s now. Quick calculations suggest it will be complete in approximately 11 days :p

I doubt I'll keep it running that long, but I'm seeing how far I can go, just for fun :D

Here's an early video of it running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6CoCAbDvQc
 

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
bump.

Had some free time this afternoon, and I've been wanting to re-familiarize myself with the C language, so I wrote a quick program to list prime numbers between 1 and a user-defined maximum limit. The current program I have running is listing all prime numbers between 1 and 1,000,000,000 (1 billion in US by the way, Geo :D). It's been running for the past 4 hours and it's listing prime numbers in the 5,000,000s now. Quick calculations suggest it will be complete in approximately 11 days :p

I doubt I'll keep it running that long, but I'm seeing how far I can go, just for fun :D

Here's an early video of it running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6CoCAbDvQc

Wow you know how to have fun. About the only thing more exciting than creating a program to calculate prime numbers is watching a video of prime numbers being calculated. :eek:
 

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
1,001
Well,

I was just thinking, with the end of the world purportedly coming on the 21st, we might try for the earlier goal. Then, if Armageddon is elsewhere in spacetime, we only have one more post to go for the later goal.
 

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
I don't see any LED in there.

edit: Found it, but if you have to go to paint.exe to make it more visible, then you 're doing a riddle wrong.
I tried to see it cross-eyes first, but no luck. :D
 
Top