Repairing Christmas/Fairy Lights

kmpumila

Joined Oct 26, 2022
I have a little experience with wiring after having to hot-wire my aftermarket radio in my car when changing it out, however I do not know how to fix this issue. The wires in the plug were loose and the lights were not turning on because of this, so i cut it off and figured it'd be as simple as connecting to two wires to another plug / power source, however that has not worked. I disassembled the switch box to take a look at that, however I don't quite know how to go about repairing this. I could get new lights, but these ones are already strung up how I would like and it was a hassle to get it to go evenly around the room, so I would prefer to be able to just replace the end of this one so I can still use them. Photos attached, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

kmpumila

Joined Oct 26, 2022
Can you describe the power source? A picture of the plug would help too.
Good luck......
It was just a normal plug, the wires got loose because it was this clear jelly resin thing instead of a proper shell. It wasn't any kind of fancy adapter or anything because the switch itself is the box before it plugs into the wall.

kmpumila

Joined Oct 26, 2022
1666815513701.png

This is the plug that was on it (but US instead) and the left is the switch box that is disassembled in the previous pics.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
That circuit has two thyristor outputs, that pull each set down to ground, it has a microprocessor on a circuit board in the middle.
You can check the mains supply at the input if you have a multimeter.

kmpumila

Joined Oct 26, 2022
That circuit has two thyristor outputs, that pull each set down to ground, it has a microprocessor on a circuit board in the middle.
You can check the mains supply at the input if you have a multimeter.
I have a multimeter at work I can borrow and use -- could I also just rewire it to a new switch? I really don't need all 8 options anyway... just simple on/off is good enough for me. If I did this, how would I take the 3 wires and change it to 2 for the switch/plug?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
On your pcb the mains is rectified to DC by the four diodes, the DC is marked P and N,( positive and negative) the lights are pulled down to Negative by the thyristors and the common side for the lights is Positive supply.

You can measure the supply at P & N it will be Around 120V, and as a test you can temporarily link terminals 1 to 3 or 2 to 3 to see if the lights come on .
IMG_20221030_152606.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I think that switch is a one way type with an earth, put your meter on ohms or diode test and measure between the White and Black, and flick the switch, then try again using the Green with Black and White.