Remove Volume Control from Creative Inspire 2400 Speakers

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Hello all,

I sort of hyjacked another thread so I thought I should start a new one for my problem specifically.

I have an old Creative Inspire 2400 2.1 channel speakers for my pc but the volume control pot went out. I opened the volume control and it looks to be a standard 6 pin pot. A wire goes from my pc to the volume control to the sub to both the left and right channels. In the pot, I have six wires, red, white and black from pc and red, white and black to the sub.

Do you think it would be as easy as removing the pot completely by putting the red, white and black together directly (individually, of course)? From the previous thread, it seems the black is the common.

From the other thread it seems the OP actually did it but he didn't label the speaker set he had specifically and I don't want to redo what he did in case I'll fry out my speakers.

Thoughts? Oh, and I am a complete and total noob with most electronics.

Thanks!IMG_20201008_001902691.jpg16021288379193578760625704117652.jpgScreenshot_20201008-005218.png

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I would try and replace the pot first. With the pot removed you could solder the red and white wires to each other on both channels this will set the amp at max volume and you would have to control the volume by the level of input signal from the PC.
Add solder where the white circles are.
EEE Volume control removed.png

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
As a aside, it's probably not a good idea to work with electronics on a carpet, since the static electricity from that could zap the circuit. :eek:

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
I would try and replace the pot first. With the pot removed you could solder the red and white wires to each other on both channels this will set the amp at max volume and you would have to control the volume by the level of input signal from the PC.
View attachment 219196
I'm not sure I have the knowledge to replace it. I have no idea what kind to get or what to put where. Total noob. I was just hoping there is an easy fix. I've done some electronics, minor soldiering, working with a multimeter etc, but really no experience. Any one able to walk me through it? How would I figure out what kind to replace it with?

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
View attachment 219196
Two things, you said to solder the #2 and 3 pins and the 5 and 6th pins (red, white, red, white, respectively)? Wouldn't that solder the red and whites together? Wouldn't I have to do red to red and white to white?

Secondly, what do I do with the black? What do I do if I remove the pot altogether? Can't I just solder the wires directly together?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
That is correct solder the red to white
Don't do anything to the black.
Leave the pot in, it won't matter after you solder the red to white.

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
That is correct solder the red to white
Don't do anything to the black.
Leave the pot in, it won't matter after you solder the red to white.
Hmm, the red and whites that would be soldered would come from the same wire. So wouldn't that just short it? There is an incoming line with one black, red and white and soldering the two you mentioned would solder those two from the same line together. Same for the other side. Sorry, I just want to really make sure.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
After second thought I may be mistaken. If one of the cables is coming from the pc that is probably the left and right channel input to the amp. In that case you would connect the red to red and white to white

EDIT: After finally looking at an image of the unit I see it is an in-line volume control built into the connecting cable between the pc and sub amp.
Several options available.
Replace the pot.
Replace the volume control unit with a stereo patch cable no soldering required.
Solder the wires together as described effectively making a patch cable.
Rebuild the control using a 10K dual audio taper pot
SG

Last edited:

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
How do I correctly size a new potentiometer? The number on the current contoller is s0170a. Does that say the size I need? I think each of the speakers are 4 ohms but I have no idea the size of the sub. Also, I don't know if it is pertinent but the watts for the system is 21 watts.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Wattage and speaker impedance are not relevant in this case.
Suggest this part # from Jameco Electronics 2181466
EEE Volume control rebuild.png

Solder the cables directly to the pot and install in a small enclosure to complete
SG

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The 1K pot might load the output of the pc reducing the volume. There should be a number on the broken pot that indicates the value.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I just did a test on my pc using a 1K resistor and the volume dropped 20%. Using a 5K the volume dropped about 4% and a 10K about 2% (YMMV), so the value of the pot does make a difference. 20% is probably not a big deal in the scheme of things so if you can't find a 5 or 10K the 1K should suffice.
SG

Last edited:

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
I just did a test on my pc using a 1K resistor and the volume dropped 20%. Using a 5K the volume dropped about 4% and a 10K about 2% (YMMV), so the value of the pot does make a difference. 20% is probably not a big deal in the scheme of things so if you can't find a 5 or 10K the 1K should suffice.
SG
Oh, ok, cool. Again, I'm a total noob. I didn't know what the difference is. I will remove it and see.

Although now that I think of it, I know the pot was going out a long time ago and I now have zero sound from the right channel. If I move the right speaker to the left channel it works fine. I've been assuming the pot has just completely failed but it may be the right channel.... I can temporarily connect the reds and test it though. I'll probably start there. No reason to do all of this if it isn't the pot.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Spiffy577

Joined Oct 7, 2020
I removed the old potentiometer, what a pain. In fact, i scratched some.of the old pcb. Hopefully it doesn't make much difference. Now I have to figure out how to get the rest of the old solder off without any specialized tools. I tried wire wicking it but that didn't work.

Oh, you were right, 10k. Said it right on the back. Thanks!

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Try adding lots of fresh solder and while it is still hot bang the side of the pc board on the table. Do this one terminal at a time.