in / on a datasheet

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Technical grammar question, which option is correct / more correct / preferred / whatever:

1. The pinout is in the datasheet.

2. The pinout is on the datasheet.

Thanks.

ak

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Neither.

Edit: Just re-read the question. Please define "more correct." Is that like being more pregnant? That is, neither is correct.
Edit 2: If one considers "pinout" as a physical entity, then it is described in the datasheet. Just as one would not say that a Ford transmission is in the shop manual, nor my left arm is in my medical history. In contrast, "Genesis" is recognized as a literary work. So that can be said as "in" the Bible ( as mentioned below).

As poor a reference as Wikipedia often is, it states,
In electronics, a pinout (sometimes written "pin-out") is a cross-reference between the contacts, or pins, of an electrical connector or electronic component, and their functions. "Pinout" now supersedes the term "basing diagram" that was the standard terminology used by the manufacturers of vacuum tubes and the RMA (emphasis added).
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinout

So, I reluctantly change my answer to "in."

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
where i live we say in the book but (if more exactly , then) on the page , sheet etc. (but that's another language)

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
It's in the book or on the page....

in the datasheets or on the datasheet (singular) but I don't see many single page datasheets.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I used "pinout" as a typical piece of information; I was not asking about a specific sentence. What about this:

The typical value of the opamp's gain-bandwidth product is listed in a table of information in/on the datasheet.

ak

Note that I said "table of information", in case someone thinks I meant an actual table like those found in a restaurant.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Technical grammar question, which option is correct / more correct / preferred / whatever:

1. The pinout is in the datasheet.

2. The pinout is on the datasheet.

Thanks.

ak
Hi

Information is written/printed ON a document.

Stuff is put IN a box, envelope, container, etc..:)
eT

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
I am from England and given those two choices I would say...
1. The pinout information is in the datasheet.
.. (note addition of the word "information" - "diagram" might be appropriate)

A more accurate statement might be:
3. The pinout diagram is contained within the datasheet information
.... but that is ridiculously long-winded

"on the datasheet" sounds odd and I would never use it.

EDIT: Just spotted that you are from Ohio.... an American audience might have different expectations

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When the datasheet is only one page, you could say on the datasheet.
When the datasheet has several pages, I would say in the datasheet.

Bertus

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Is it in the fuse box or on the fuse box? Is it in the letter or on the letter? In the declaration of independence or on the declaration? Damn it this is confusing.

your chart can be found in the datasheet on page 1420. But don’t forget footnotes 12,15,32 which are in section 15 on pages 12-45.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Just so we are all on the same page, if the datasheet is a single page, I think think either is okay, if multiple pages, in is correct.

Bob