in / on a datasheet

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
From an Englishman "Wot can spoke proper Englund"..

The datasheet is realistically a manual. It's in the manual on page x. Even if it were one page long.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Datasheet has two meanings. One is the document; the other is the collection of information contained therein or in the document.

Hence, when referring to the content of a datasheet, that content is “in” the datasheet. I struggle to find a case where something was “on” a datasheet, unless I’m referring to the coffee I spilled on it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What would be even better is to state that "The pin-out description is included as part of the data sheet.
I am amazed at the randomness of the whole discussion.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Actually, I am on Ohio.

ak
Interesting... I would've thought you were at Ohio...

As someone to whose English is a foreign language, I have always related "in" to "inside", and "on" to "on top" or "above". So it makes more sense for me to find a component's specification in a datasheet.

"in" is what I would use in that example.

Maybe @Hypatia's Protege will way/weigh in/on this matter? :)
I too prefer 'in' in said context -- That said, I strive to avoid 'grammar Nazism' in the absence of significant 'impairment' to effective communcation (via any 'verbal infraction{s}') -- Lest I find myself subject of said 'tyranny':oops::cool:) -- 'teh', on the other hand, is Right Out!:mad:

Best regards and TTFN
HP:)