I got this new schematic and I've tried to construct it on the stripboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

Don’t take apart and try to rebuild your circuit.
How would we know what mistake you made on your first attempt?
Learning how to test, debug, and diagnose circuits is an important part in acquiring the art of electronics.

Post photos of your strip board, both sides.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I agree with MrChips. You will learn much more by tracing which part of the circuit is not working. It looks like the lower two gates form a low frequency oscillator which will only oscillate when pin 1 is at a voltage that is considered a logic high. So if you connect pin 1 to +9 volts you should see pin toggling on and off. This would be my first step in faultfinding the circuit,

Les.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
Building on stripboard can be quite a challenge, and planning your layout carefully before starting assembly will keep things on track. I use Eagle to lay out a rough plan before assembly, but even a pen and paper layout will help reduce errors.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You also need to tell us all the component values.
Is the CD4011 mounted in a socket, or soldered to the pcb?
Do you have a multi-meter?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I think that circuit is overly complicated for a beginner. A darlington such as an MPSA13 is easily turned on with water and will drive a buzzer.

Hannan007_

Joined Oct 31, 2021
schematic

This is the value for each components

The transistor specs

My breadboard layout

I dont know if the breadboard layout is correct or not as I'm still a beginner, I'm confused about the transistor part cause the pin of the transistor are quite difficult for me to transfer it from schematic to stripboard and fyi it's my first year and im still using online learning which is really hard for me to ask someone f2f.

any tips for soldering would be great cause I have zero knowledge about soldering

Hannan007_

Joined Oct 31, 2021
Building on stripboard can be quite a challenge, and planning your layout carefully before starting assembly will keep things on track. I use Eagle to lay out a rough plan before assembly, but even a pen and paper layout will help reduce errors.
this is my breadboard, I don't know if its correct or not cause im quite lost on the transistor part cause the pin is different from what I've learned

the transistor pin out

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very first discrepancy that I see is in the transistor picture. Many transistors are arranged EBC , and not ECB. So you may have been given wrong information. In fact, that description of "any gp NPN" is not correct.. I see that none of the circuit drawings show V+ connected to pin #14, although it is shown connected on the layout sketch.
Certainly if the transistors are not like the cartoon drawing then nothing will work. AND you really do need to have a decent voltmeter to see what is happening.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Have you cut the tracks under the IC so the pins on either side of the IC are not shorted together. If you have not cut them the following pins will be shorted together.
1 - 14
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 11
5 - 10
6 - 9
7 - 8

Les.

Hannan007_

Joined Oct 31, 2021
I agree with MrChips. You will learn much more by tracing which part of the circuit is not working. It looks like the lower two gates form a low frequency oscillator which will only oscillate when pin 1 is at a voltage that is considered a logic high. So if you connect pin 1 to +9 volts you should see pin toggling on and off. This would be my first step in faultfinding the circuit,

Les.
sorry its my first time using stripboard cause usually im using breadboard to build the circuit but you know its learning process I have to learn using stripboard. and I have a question for you, how do I know if the components are damaged?

Hannan007_

Joined Oct 31, 2021
Have you cut the tracks under the IC so the pins on either side of the IC are not shorted together. If you have not cut them the following pins will be shorted together.
1 - 14
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 11
5 - 10
6 - 9
7 - 8

Les.
I just put the IC into the socket. Sorry, I don't understand what are you saying cause I'm complete beginner . what do u mean cut the tracks, and how can I do that?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For a beginner, it would be wise to start with solderless breadboards.
With this you will learn how to assemble a circuit properly as well as learn how to test and debug a circuit.

Posting a layout of your circuit might be useful. Look up fritzing software.
However, when you still need someone to look over your shoulder an actual photograph is still required.

Hannan007_

Joined Oct 31, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

Don’t take apart and try to rebuild your circuit.
How would we know what mistake you made on your first attempt?
Learning how to test, debug, and diagnose circuits is an important part in acquiring the art of electronics.

Post photos of your strip board, both sides.
sorry but I have already de-solder all of them. But I still have the breadboard layout, perhaps u can correct me if I'm doing it wrong. I think my transistor connections are wrong cause the pins are not connected correctly.

this is the transistor pin-out

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I use a sharp, fine Exacto knife.
It is easier to cut the tracks at the holes.
For a more compact layout you can cut the tracks where there is no hole, i.e. in between holes.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
so I have to drill on every IC pin hole right?
Look at the IC on your strip board layout. There are copper tracks between pins 1 and 14, 2 and 13 etc. These are not supposed to be connected. So you have to cut the track somewhere between the two pins.

There may be other cases like this as well, but I am not going to look for them.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.