How can I make a scanner led light using 1,25 V X 0.054 ma (VIMUN SC - 3012) ?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@shortbus: Already asked STB (ScienceToolBar) to try hooking the LED directly to the solar panel. It doesn't seem there's enough voltage/current to light the LED.
I'd still like to see him make a real video of this project. One that shows everything. With the solar panel covered, the sphere not spinning so we can see it come to life. And not some generic wide angle video like his normal ones. You can't even see whether the sphere is turning in any of the ones so far.Something is not being told in this whole thing.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
This chip can start with only 330mV voltage and 15uW of input power. If there's a breakout board or dev kit for it, I bet it outperforms any mechanical solution with its losses.

http://www.ti.com/product/BQ25504

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slusah0c/slusah0c.pdf

Not that I'm against investigating the mechanical solution. In fact, I find it all quite intriguing!

But, it does appear that industry is ahead of the game and already has solutions for harvesting energy from micro power sources.

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
This chip can start with only 330mV voltage and 15uW of input power. If there's a breakout board or dev kit for it, I bet it outperforms any mechanical solution with its losses.

http://www.ti.com/product/BQ25504

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slusah0c/slusah0c.pdf

Not that I'm against investigating the mechanical solution. In fact, I find it all quite intriguing!

But, it does appear that industry is ahead of the game and already has solutions for harvesting energy from micro power sources.

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
I'd still like to see him make a real video of this project. One that shows everything. With the solar panel covered, the sphere not spinning so we can see it come to life. And not some generic wide angle video like his normal ones. You can't even see whether the sphere is turning in any of the ones so far.Something is not being told in this whole thing.
I don.t know much about video's sorry for that I will try to improve this also, on the other hand if you have kids/nephews , the project can be replicated with them , easy and there is nothing expensive. I asure is working 100 %, the hadake will apear when they will ask you - how to make that led glow stronger (you can use any led you wish ) - there is a way ....start moving easy the cases on the poles and the position of the coil 1. to find the optim position, thing that I am doing now.....you will loose speed but probably you will win some power..... I am thinking also to a reed switch ....to the coil 1. - to obtain dc power and send back some energy (pulse motor)

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Me too. I don’t believe for a moment that there is anything gained by involving an electric motor. We all know the losses there are at least about half of the available power. I also don’t believe we’re seeing microwatts moving a motor and flashing an LED.

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
Me too. I don’t believe for a moment that there is anything gained by involving an electric motor. We all know the losses there are at least about half of the available power. I also don’t believe we’re seeing microwatts moving a motor and flashing an LED.
I will make that movie . it is a low power motor and a tiny power generator.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What happens when you put your second coil close to the solar powered one? Without the sphere in the mix.

What is up with the"string"? The one you drape over the upper support for the sphere?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A couple more questions:
Show a close up of your meter as you take the panel voltage measurement. I think you might be misreading the voltage. This whole thread would make a lot more sense if that panel was putting out the power expected of a panel that size. I have solar lights with similar sized panels and those can light an LED for hours. A mystery throughout this thread is why your panel measures up so poorly.

I'd like to see first the open circuit voltage in full light, and then the short-circuit current with your meter set to the 200mA scale or similar.

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
What happens when you put your second coil close to the solar powered one? Without the sphere in the mix.

What is up with the"string"? The one you drape over the upper support for the sphere?

Hello SB!
I didn.tunderstand the questions (you are refering to the last movie ?)

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
A couple more questions:
Show a close up of your meter as you take the panel voltage measurement. I think you might be misreading the voltage. This whole thread would make a lot more sense if that panel was putting out the power expected of a panel that size. I have solar lights with similar sized panels and those can light an LED for hours. A mystery throughout this thread is why your panel measures up so poorly.

I'd like to see first the open circuit voltage in full light, and then the short-circuit current with your meter set to the 200mA scale or similar.
Hello !

What do you mean by full light (outside ?)sun light ?

sciencetoolbar

Joined Apr 9, 2017
Hello to All !
I wish to eliminate all the doubts regarding measurements (which are 99 % corect (I will put 1 % eror on the multimeter )) , functionality, etc , it will help me if some one implicated in this discussion will replicate the toy and measures all the values, otherwise we will return at the starting point of the thread.
Does some one have a Vimun Sc-3012 - 2a solar panel (it can be find in an office calculator or a solar toy ) ?

Thx st

Last edited:
FWIW It seems the string is by way of demonstrating absence of solid rotor-to-support bondage (à la a magician's 'hoop' passed about an ostensibly 'levitated' subject) -- 'tho I daresay the import of same escapes me:confused:? --- Magnetic 'suspension' (indeed, even full levitation of a rotating permanent magnet) is non-exceptional --- Derivation of motive force from a source of very low power, however, is!

Best regards
HP:)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What do you mean by full light (outside ?)sun light ?
I just meant the same light level used in your typical example videos.

Well, I read your meter the same as you have reported: ~1.3V open circuit and ~54µA on the 2mA scale. What do you see if you switch the DC current selector on your meter to a higher scale, such as the 20mA or 200mA scales?

@sciencetoolbar

As a point of curiosity (Re: spectra) might I inquire as to your light source (e.g. linear florescents, Hg/metal-halide HIDs, LEDs, halogen-filled incandescents, etc...)? --- Based upon the reflections apparent in your videos such could be any of the above or indeed sunlight (via skylights/windows)...:confused:

Very best regards
HP:)