Help me ID: Unidentified Components: Capacitor, resistor/fuse (with fridge fiasco story)

Tentmaker

Joined Feb 16, 2019
TLDR:
ID & ideals on mangled through-hole components, images below:

Story: The Torontonian's Tale of the Fridge Fiasco
Out with the old, in with the new! Or, so the non-electronics hobbyist will say when an appliance malfunctions.
But, me? No, siree bob! Not with a soldering iron and all the brain power of allaboutcircuits.com at my disposal.

The fat lady has not sung. And, by fat lady, I mean my fridge.

So, I had a black, dented, floor-model fridge that my budget-conscious family bought (say, maybe 8 years ago). Recently, it started to croak on us when we noticed the food start to go bad. But, though the fridge dying on us stung, like I said, the fat lady had, yet, not sung!

Studied up on the engineering behind it. (Hey, were all on lockdown these days anwyays. So might as well try.) So, the mismantaling begun on a quest to see if I could fix it. Many screws and drill driver whines later, the fridge was relatively gutted, dismantled and in disarray with its parts all over my kitchen table. Then, as a pirate digging for buried treasure, I struck the find of a lifetime--well, at least, my fridge's lifetime: A brushless DC fan assembly--"Made in Switzerland." Very fancy Whirlpool! But, not fancy enough since it's likely the reason for my Fridge fiasco and my Whirlpool Woes.

So, careful broke the plastic casing. Thinking a solution was at hand as I worked towards getting to the PCB, behold: Epoxy resin. Probably polyurethane. Really dense, really tough. Couldn't shave it off with a knife without risking damage to the components--oh the irony. I tried my mini hotair station (Thank you China!), to no avail. Then, with some chemistry under my belt from my school days, I figured I could use a solvent. The weapon of choice (well, the only weapon I had): paint thinner.

After repeated submersion and scrapings (with my handy-dandy Canadian Tire utility knife), I could finally see it! There it was!

PCB! Components!

BUT, the story did not end there: With all the scrapings and submersions, I managed to mangle a lot of the components, rendering any component markings mutilated and disfigured. And, so continued the fridge fiasco.

So, this is where you come in! Please help me ID these components!

Details:
Identified 3/5 surface mount components with strong confidence (say an arbitrary 95.99% confidence).
The last 2 I am trying to ID are this:

- a resistor or fuse, mangled beyond recognition
- reads 101 kOhms on multimeter
- mangled "...00" on the green part
- mangled "2W or 3W" on another area perhaps (the top part of the 2 or 3, with the top part of the W showing, rest is chiped away)

- a capacitor, also mangled beyond recognition
- I got nothing but the picture and one 0 on the plastic sheathing

Question:
Can anyone figure out how to ID these little guys?

Images attached.
Allaboutcircuits.com, SOS! Help!
(Please and thank you!)

Resistor/Fuse?:20210412200219461_resistor.pngCapacitor:
20210412200323988_capacitor.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The green part I thought was a fuse when I first saw it but I think I can see '3W' which might mean it is a 3 Watt resistor but I wouldn't expect such a part to have the sleeve whereas a fuse might well. Can you carefully remove the green stuff and see what is underneath?

The blue thing is an aluminium electrloytic capacitor. Do you have a capacitor meter?
If not you should consider something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274664300490?hash=item3ff3449fca:g:hnEAAOSw691gE~xf&LH_BIN=1

Tentmaker

Joined Feb 16, 2019
The green part I thought was a fuse when I first saw it but I think I can see '3W' which might mean it is a 3 Watt resistor but I wouldn't expect such a part to have the sleeve whereas a fuse might well. Can you carefully remove the green stuff and see what is underneath?

The blue thing is an aluminium electrloytic capacitor. Do you have a capacitor meter?
If not you should consider something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274664300490?hash=item3ff3449fca:g:hnEAAOSw691gE~xf&LH_BIN=1
Thank you, good sir! Good guidance and good leads.

• On the resistor/fuse: Good idea on scraping, thank you!
    • What you say makes perfect sense! I will try to scrape away the green coating on the resistor/fuse-ma-bob to see if its like a fuse or not. Was hoping to avoid this and just re-use it, but its a good last resort! The 3W does make it seem like its a resistor, I also wondered the same thing because it does look kinda like a fuse!
    • More clues: On the PCB it's designator label says "R8" so, that's probably confirming your suspicions that it may very well be a resistor.

• On the capacitor: Good point on the capacitor meter. Thank you!
    • Actually, I do not--only a basic/newbie automotive multi-meter I got for this long-time slow-developing hobby years ago (at Canadian Tire!). Was hoping to go to an electronics component store and ask a clerk to see if they could measure it for me if they have a meter.

Tentmaker

Joined Feb 16, 2019
Thank you everyone! :)

- thermal fuse
- capacitor (could be measured with a capacitor metre or a fancier multimeter).