Controlling the supply to a Hall effect Sensor (A3144E) with another A3144E

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
I'll pick this back up tomorrow - super late here now. Thanks to everyone for the help so far.
As it happens I started a YT channel a week ago or so. I will upload to there and link the page to here.
I'm sure I have something miswired still.. Ordering some breadboard for future projects.. doing it like this is a nightmare

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You will need a reverse-biased diode (cathode to Vcc, anode to Q3 drain) connected across the solenoid to protect Q3 from the back-emf spike when Q3 switches off.

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
You will need a reverse-biased diode (cathode to Vcc, anode to Q3 drain) connected across the solenoid to protect Q3 from the back-emf spike when Q3 switches off.
Yes, will do. Due to the rapid cutoff, and high voltage transient generated by the bEMF, I will use a bridge of 1n5408's to capture the wasted energy and store it in a capacitor.

Hence why I want to drive the solenoid via this particular MOSFET in a Darlington / Sziklai arrangement (It's the latter I believe?) which has an appropriate clamping action and given the BJT will cut off faster than it would otherwise, due to the increased gain, giving me that potential to charge the cap. Still learning lots but that's the idea. Increase the efficiency of the oscillations any way possible.

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
All three choices are fine. It's not in series but in parallel with the base-emitter of Q2
Interestingly, the latch DOES work without the capacitor. Adding it now because I have to FULLY magnetize the second sensor (ie. make the LED turn fully off, then it stays off) Both the same thing, 44E-402.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Interestingly, the latch DOES work without the capacitor.
Correct but sometimes with my circuit on the breadboard it latch ON when first powered up. I verified your issue and since have moved the cap to the base of Q1 and ground. You can leave the cap out if not experiencing the problem I had but be aware if it does.
1676938855119.png

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Having now built the circuit in the video and studied it a bit I understand what's happening a lot better.
I need to use 3 sensors instead of 2.

I want H2 to switch solenoid supply off (as it already does)
-But simultaneously cut off supply to an "H3", and then H1 should switch H3 back on.

H1- Switch on supply to H3
H3- Switch on supply to Solenoid
H2- Switch off supply to solenoid AND H3

Can I switch both Solenoid and H3 low side off a shared "Sziklai arrangement" (?) (Both Negatives into same transistor)
Or do they need separate arrangements?

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
You will need two identical latch circuits composed of Q1,Q2 and Q3,Q4.
Thankyou for your time and effort, it means a lot. This will allow the whole thing to work.
I'll share a the YT video video link to this thread when it's done.

Hopefully all this info will be of use to future visitors, too:)

Last edited: