Controlling the supply to a Hall effect Sensor (A3144E) with another A3144E

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Shouldn't be getting hot. Do you have other circuits powered besides the A3144 circuits?
Voltage should be much higher. Cap C4 should be rated at least 100 volts.
C3 at 25 volts.
Please post your revised circuit.
Yes it would be best to just power the latch circuit with the 12 volts and use the 80 volts for the coil.

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Shouldn't be getting hot. Do you have other circuits powered besides the A3144 circuits?
Voltage should be much higher. Cap C4 should be rated at least 100 volts.
C3 at 25 volts.
Please post your revised circuit.
Yes it would be best to just power the latch circuit with the 12 volts and use the 80 volts for the coil.
Please point out any errors / component mismatches you see
There will likely be some - this is just the progress so far
Linear Actuated Gravity Amplifier - Electrical Schematic - Trimtofit.png

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I think it's all OK but explain again the purpose of the three1N5408 diodes, the 1N5404 and the 1F/90 volt cap.
Is this circuit working as shown on the schematic?

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
I think it's all OK but explain again the purpose of the three1N5408 diodes, the 1N5404 and the 1F/90 volt cap.
Is this circuit working as shown on the schematic?
Circuit in above diagram has yet to be actually built physically.
The non - modified version works great !

the 1N5408 diodes are what a previous replication called for, being quite effective, I copied it to this.
They are to direct the HV flyback into the 90v capacitor.
The 1N5404 should prevent the boost converter from charging up the cap, as I want it to soley capture and re-use flyback.

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Here's my only suggestion for some isolation on the latch circuit. Add C3 and re-route power to the 80 volt boost module.
Is that really a 1 Farad 90 volt cap?
1680140755282.png

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Here's my only suggestion for some isolation on the latch circuit. Add C3 and re-route power to the 80 volt boost module.
Is that really a 1 Farad 90 volt cap?
View attachment 291032
I don't have the capacitor yet, but that's what I am aiming for roughly, better to have more capacitance than less I believe, for this at least. may end up needing less, or can parallel several up to get the needed C value.

It will need to be whatever the flyback amounts to in coulombs / Joules (I think) from the coil shutoff, just slightly more for 80% rule.

Thankyou for the suggestion RE C3 - I wouldn't have known it was needed.

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Hi sghioto - may I ask another question?

Were I to control 6 sensors instead of 3 (2x sets of 3, in the original configuration in most recent diagram) How should I make this modification?

I could build two circuits, and control each set of 3 sensors independently, but this would incur unnecessary flow in the overall circuit afaik.
So would it be better to use one circuit to control all 6 sensors?

(The reason it's needed is because I may need to use 2x solenoids instead of just 1, as I had planned.)

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.:)

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Why not activate two solenoids with Q4 by adding Q6 without requiring 3 more sensors?
View attachment 292212
I should have been clearer, my bad.

I would need them to turn on one at a time, whereas that would turn them both on at the same time iinm?

One solenoid will be on the left, one on the right.

H2 shuts Solenoid #1 OFF, and H5 would shut Solenoid #2 off, if that makes sense?
(H1 & H4 would turn H3 & H6 on, respectively, in their respective half of the duty cycle.)

One electromagnet (as I have planned) may well be enough but if not, I would like to know how to add a second without hesitation.

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Do you want solenoid #2 to activate immediately when solenoid #1 shuts off?
I want them to activate independently, but each having the reduced duty cycle, so:

H1 trips, H3 turns on, Sol1 on - H2 trips Sol1 off.

H4 Trips, H6 turns on, Sol2 on - H5 Trips, Sol2 off. (repeat)

I'd like to be able to do this with just 2x PNP's and 2x NPN's as before.

Is this possible or do I have to use two separate, identical circuits?

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
After some more thought and if the timing is proper you may be able to parallel H1 and H4 as the trip and H2 and H5 as the reset.
H6 would get power from Q2 as does H3 but the output of H6 would require a separate latch and mosfet to drive the solenoid.

Last edited:

Buster710

Joined Feb 18, 2023
After some more thought and if the timing is proper you may be able to parallel H1 and H4 as the trip and H2 and H5 as the reset.
H6 would get power from Q2 as does H3 but the output of H6 would require a separate latch and mosfet to drive the solenoid.
That'd be close to ideal - thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Last edited: