A 6 Digit Frequency Counter

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
It gave me no trace at all. I have looked at the quick start that came with the scope
many times but I find that it is of no help at all. It tells how to use the different scope
features but not which ones you need for a particular reading.
Look on the user manual page 19. It mentions "Probe attenuation Factor".
Look on the user manual page 18. It show a picture of the scope screen with attenuation set to 1X.
You should be able to display the setting at the bottom of the screen. Set to 10X as MrChips wrote.

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Look on the user manual page 19. It mentions "Probe attenuation Factor".
Look on the user manual page 18. It show a picture of the scope screen with attenuation set to 1X.
You should be able to display the setting at the bottom of the screen. Set to 10X as MrChips wrote.
I have posted images of the scope screen and every one shows the probes set to 10X. I don't
understand why people keep telling me to set them to 10X.

M

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Morning maker,
I guess you have run the Self Cal on page #150 of your scope manual.?

Can you recap for me the problem you are reporting?

E
A hot cup of coffee helps at times like this.;)
Morning Eric.

I am attempting to work through the learning exercise posted by MrChips in post# 37.
I am trying to learn how to use the scope but I am having no luck. With the first circuit
I am feeding in a 1Khz square wave on pins 2 and 3. When I scope it, I get the no trace.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have posted images of the scope screen and every one shows the probes set to 10X. I don't
understand why people keep telling me to set them to 10X.

M
The information displayed on the oscilloscope screen shows the setting of the oscilloscope. It does NOT show the setting of the probe. You need to make sure that the two settings are the same.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Morning Eric.

I am attempting to work through the learning exercise posted by MrChips in post# 37.
I am trying to learn how to use the scope but I am having no luck. With the first circuit
I am feeding in a 1Khz square wave on pins 2 and 3. When I scope it, I get the no trace.
Show us the oscilloscope screen and the control panel so that we can see how the oscilloscope is setup.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Morning Eric.

Set the scope to DC coupling.
Set the probe to 1x or 10x and set the scope to 1x or 10x as needed for the probe setting. Many probes have a 1x and 10x switch too so check that.
Now to test, connect the probe to a little 9v battery or a little AA or AAA battery and see that the reading goes up to the appropriate level. Make sure you have the coupling set to DC for the input channel you are testing.

The above test should tell you if you have everything set up right, or even if there is a problem with the scope or probe.
You can also try a direct input with a probe that has just two clips at the end. That would be a 1x probe only. They are cheap on Amazon or other places on the web.
You also have to check the maximum input for the scope input though so you do not overpower it or it could blow out. If the max is 50 volts then you can not use a 1x probe to test a voltage over 50 volts. There are a few scopes that only allow up to 5v input although yours probably isn't that low.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
show us the photo of the switch on your probe. some probes have different settings. some have option to tie the input to GND in which case you would see nothing. the point is that you need to make correct setup both on the probe and on the scope before anything useful will appear on the screen. the settings on the probe and on the meter need to match.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It gave me no trace at all. I have looked at the quick start that came with the scope
many times but I find that it is of no help at all. It tells how to use the different scope
features but not which ones you need for a particular reading.
TS said that there is no trace on the screen. You don't need a 9V source to do this simple test setup.
You don't even need a probe connected to the oscilloscope.

Set the input CH1 Coupling to GND. (not necessary if there is no probe connected or no input to the probe).
Press the Vertical Position button. (This resets the vertical shift to zero.)
Press the Horizontal Position button (not necessary).
Set Trigger Auto. (This is important.)
Set Horizontal to 1ms/DIV. (not essential)

You should see a yellow horizontal line (CH1) on the middle of the screen.

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Please post photos of the oscilloscope with the power on and showing your attempts to get a trace on the screen.
Images Of The SDS1104X-U Scope - March 7/24
This was obtained by feeding a 1khz square wave into pin1 and pin2.
Ch1 = signal from generator and Ch2 = pin 3 output. I didn't use the
Autoset or any other control and this is the result.

Attachments

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Hi:

After a brief break I have been working on the frequency counter circuit. I have added a control
circuit for latching the CD4511 and resetting the CD4510. As it turns out, the reset works but the
latch signal doesn't cause the display to latch. I think that perhaps the timing is off. Note that I
have not breadboarded the input circuit as I am just feeding in a "test" signal from a function
generator. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Attachments

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
After a brief break I have been working on the frequency counter circuit.
That's a lot of real estate...

When I breadboarded a 6 digit counter, I used 2 MC14553 (3 digit counters), 6 5082-7300 integrated 4x7 dot matrix displays, half a dozen transistors (displays were multiplexed), and some glue logic (did it about 40 years ago and never took a picture). IIRC, it was all on one solderless breadboard.
1710600833397.png
1710600878816.png
The displays are virtually unobtanium these days and would cost ~$30 each if you could find them. Neat displays, but they're power hogs (around 100mA each).

It looks like the counters are unobtanium too. Anything reasonably priced on eBay is likely to be counterfeit.
1710601188997.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
As it turns out, the reset works but the
latch signal doesn't cause the display to latch. I think that perhaps the timing is off. Note that I
have not breadboarded the input circuit as I am just feeding in a "test" signal from a function
generator. Help would be appreciated.
It isn't a timing problem. To latch a count, LE needs to be HIGH for as long as you want the count to be latched.
1710687472761.png

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Hi
Here is a timing diagram. I believe that on the first rising edge the latch must occur. On the second
rising edge the reset must occur. In otherwords, it will take a 2 second interval to accomplish the
process of latch, count and reset?
M

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
Here is a timing diagram. I believe that on the first rising edge the latch must occur. On the second
rising edge the reset must occur. In otherwords, it will take a 2 second interval to accomplish the
process of latch, count and reset?
M
You have to be careful here.
Both LATCH ENABLE and RESET are not edge sensitive. They are level sensitive.
This means that the RESET function is in effect for the entire time that the RESET signal is active.
Similarly, LATCH ENABLE is active for the entire time that the LATCH ENABLE is active. Therefore the important event occurs when the LATCH ENABLE signal goes inactive. Pay attention to the logic level of LATCH ENABLE on CD4511. It has to be HIGH most of the time and then pulse LOW-to-HIGH to latch the data.