A 6 Digit Frequency Counter

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Not jitter.
Ignore the scope frequency readout of f = 13.8886kHz

Look at the waveform on the oscilloscope screen. TIME/DIV is set to 1ms. Screen shows one cycle in 1ms which is 1kHz.
The mean voltage is 4.97V with an amplitude of 0.3V.

Looks like you are missing a GND connection on your IC.
pin #7 is at ground

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The generator output is a stable 1 khz square wave. I have also tried the
other gates in the same package with the same result.
Show a picture of the source signal on the oscilloscope and a picture of your breadboard. You are missing a GND connection somewhere. Use your oscilloscope to located the missing GND connection.

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Hi
Images
M
That is not what is showing on the oscilloscope.
My image in post #45 shows 4 vpp out of the generator. When I measure pin# 1/2
on the CD4011, I get a good scope image as it should be. However, when I probe
pin# 3, I get the image in post #45. I thought that perhaps the CD4011 (gate #1)
was a dud but the other sections don't yield the expected results either.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The oscilloscope is your most important diagnostic tool. Learn to use and trust it.
Show us the oscilloscope traces at pins 1, 2, 3, 7, and 14 of the IC (not at the breadboard but at the IC pins directly).

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
The oscilloscope is your most important diagnostic tool. Learn to use and trust it.
Show us the oscilloscope traces at pins 1, 2, 3, 7, and 14 of the IC (not at the breadboard but at the IC pins directly).
Channel 1 = pin# 1 & 2 input
Channel 2 = pin# 3 output
Channel 3 = pin# 14

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Apparently, you have no proper power connections.
Check your connections to the breadboard banana posts. Newcomer error is to pinch on the insulation instead of bare metal wire.

CHAN 1 is showing 50V!

Don't use AUTO SETUP. Set all input channels to 2V/DIV or 5V/DIV

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Apparently, you have no proper power connections.
Check your connections to the breadboard banana posts. Newcomer error is to pinch on the insulation instead of bare metal wire.

CHAN 1 is showing 50V!

Don't use AUTO SETUP. Set all input channels to 2V/DIV or 5V/DIV
I checked the power connections. There is 5 volts every where I checked on the board.
How can there possibly be 50 volts when the supply is 5 volts? If I don't use Autoset,
the scope doesn't display anything. I have attached another scope print.

Channel 1 = pin# 1/2
Channel 2 = pin# 3

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The scope is showing 50V because you have the scope probe set to x1 attenuation. Set it to x10 attenuation on the body of the probe. Leave the oscilloscope setting to x10 match the setting of the probe.

You need to learn how to setup the oscilloscope without having to resort to Auto Setup.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Use to oscilloscope to confirm that 5V on the +5V power rail gives 1 division offset from 0V when the input channel is set to 5V/DIV with x10 attenuation on the probe and on the scope setting. Set the trigger control to Auto.

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Use to oscilloscope to confirm that 5V on the +5V power rail gives 1 division offset from 0V when the input channel is set to 5V/DIV with x10 attenuation on the probe and on the scope setting. Set the trigger control to Auto.
Is there just the probe setting or is there something else needing to be set because I get no display?
I even tried to feed the 5 volt at the power supply directly and got nothing on the scope.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is there just the probe setting or is there something else needing to be set because I get no display?
I even tried to feed the 5 volt at the power supply directly and got nothing on the scope.
Begin by selecting CH 1 and set the input coupling DC-AC-GND to GND.
Press (push in) the VERTICAL POSITION knob.
Set Trigger to Auto.

You should see CH 1 yellow line in the middle of the screen.

Siglent SDS1104X-E User Manual
https://siglent.com.pl/public/assets/SDS1104X-E_User_Manual_UM0101E-E02B.pdf

maker_2023

Joined Nov 20, 2023
Thanks I will do that.
It gave me no trace at all. I have looked at the quick start that came with the scope
many times but I find that it is of no help at all. It tells how to use the different scope
features but not which ones you need for a particular reading.