24V 5A 3-state capacitive touch switch (not a dimmer, without relay)

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Laying out circuit boards is like a puzzle. You want to position components to permit short, direct paths as much as possible.

High current paths are the most important, which in this case is the high power connections between the MOSFETs and the power connector. Ideally, they will be located adjacent to each other with short connections.

The other place short connections are best is the bypass cap for the chip. As close to the power pins as possible is the goal.

You can use both sides of the board to route tracks with vias connecting top to bottom. The soldermask will insulate the board from the metal trim. You might add a thin layer of insulation, like a piece of overhead transparency material, to be safe. Bit no through-hole components in this design.
Thanks. Do I have to use multiple vias for 5A ?

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Did you watch the tutorial I linked in post #221? Yeah, I didn't think so.
I have watched the tutorials, but I can not find anything about why I am hanging in Component Placement forever (see screenshot).
This is right after I have selected PCB Assembly, added BOM and CPL file, confirmed BOM data and it hangs like this.

component placement.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Use large diameter vias for high-current Tracee.

Describe exactly what you're doing to get to the point where you're stuck. I don't know where you're at.

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Use large diameter vias for high-current Tracee.

Describe exactly what you're doing to get to the point where you're stuck. I don't know where you're at.
This is right after I have selected PCB Assembly, added BOM and CPL file, confirmed BOM data and it hangs like this.
Just ordering PCBs work fine, but PCB Assembly hangs.

Last edited:

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You need to provide way more detail about what "not working" means. I don't think there are many mind readers or fortune tellers in the forum.

I do recall saying that the resistor/capacitor values might need some adjusting, but since I don't know what "not working" .means, it may or may not be your problem.

Searching for "4017 power on reset" may give you some help.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
You really need to explain things FULLY. Otherwise, no one is going to even try to help.

1. Circuit counts to 10 instead of 3 and starting over? How do you know?

□ yes

□ no

2. Power-on reset always resets counter back to zero when circuit is powered up?

□ yes

□ no

3. Circuit does anything else screwy that you don't think is important enough to mention?

□ yes

□ no

4. You used ALL the parts in the schematic I made for you and made all the connections without changes, including the ones you didn't understand?

□ yes

□ no

If you had spent 5 minutes providing some explanation, I wouldn't have spent 30 asking for more details.

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
1. Yes - tested it and counted.
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes, but used 4148 instead of 4148w, LP2950 instead of TP2202-5.0YNEG and 2N7000 instead of 2N7002 because I already had them.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have breadboard tested the curcuit and it looks like the reset function for the 4017 is not working. Please advice ?
Which reset function? The "after both on" reset to both off, or the power on reset so that when initially powered on, all is off???

Last edited:

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
I think in post #270 & #271 I managed to elicit that the POR works ok, but the reset when the count of 3 is reached doesn't happen.

It's unfortunate that it's required so many messages to (maybe) translate "it doesn't work" into something actionable. And it's also unfortunate that after 14 pages in this thread, operation of the 4017 still isn't understood well enough to troubleshoot a connection between two pins with a single component between them.

Sigh.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Like I commented, C3 is quite a burden, so how about a diode in series with the power-on reset circuit, so that the capacitor does not slow things down so much. Using a "diode OR" function DOES require diodes in all of the inputs. There is probably a maximum allowable rise time on the reset input at lower supply voltages. Probably there is a maximum rise time specification for the reset input.