20V max DC motor, how do hairdryer work on cool air without heating filament ?

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Hi readers,
Hairdryers (240V AC) actually works on a design which current passes through the heating filament (Maybe consume 220V) to produce a lot of heat whereas through the DC motor (Maybe consume 20V).
I have always been curious about this
Question: Hair dryer has an option of choosing the speed of motor (more air flow) and heat produced by adjusting the knob. When the hairdryer is operating at cool mode (only motor) and no heating filament, this would mean that the motor would consume 240V which is extremely dangerous. So, how does this hairdryer circuit for just actually operating the fan without the heating filament. I have opened a hairdryer actually and found no AC to DC adapter which help to regulate 20V max to DC motor. Any suggestions, lads :) ? Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
this would mean that the motor would consume 240V which is extremely dangerous. So, how does this hairdryer circuit for just actually operating the fan without the heating filament. I have opened a hairdryer actually and found no AC to DC adapter which help to regulate 20V max to DC motor. Any suggestions, lads :) ? Thank you
Why is it dangerous to operate the motor at 240v? some do.
Not all drop the voltage to the motor, in the case of non heat setting, the element is turned OFF!

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It all depends on the circuit, and not all blow dryers use the same circuit. If you do not have te circuit of that one traced then your guess is no better than mine, and I have seen none of it.
How the motor voltage is provided must be different for those models that do not use the heater element to drop the voltage for the motor. Only the older and cheap junk blowers used that series scheme, now it is done by other means. And some motors may run on 240 volts, or 220 volts. So there is no substitute for actually tracing out the circuit.

Last edited: