Wiring Headlight and turn signals for a simpleton

Ron2020

Joined Nov 2, 2020
Greetings,
My current project is trying to wire a headlight and two turn signals to a motorbike using a 12v rechargeable battery. There are no existing electrical parts of any kind for lighting aside from what I’m doing currently. Complete custom job. I need advice:

What I have is:
A switch with the following:
2-blue wires - Lights
Red - turn signal ground/flash
Green - Left signal
Yellow - Right signal

3 pole LED flasher with:
Red wire for battery
Green wire for lights
Black wire for ground

Led fog light for headlight red/black wires

I would prefer to have all of them running to that switch. I had the headlight working on a 3 pole on/off before but I’m trying to keepit tidy and operational off of that switch.

I thought I had it figured out planning for weeks. I do not know where I’m going wrong.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Verbal descriptions of circuits are easily misinterpreted. It would be helpful if you drew a wiring diagram for how you want to wire things. Then we have something more concrete to work with.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Tbh, I’m not even sure if my drawing is correct or doing more harm than good but here it is included.
How do you know that one of the blue wires is for 12V? Why is turn signal ground going to a relay? What's connected to the other relay terminal?

We normally draw a relay as a coil and it's contacts:
clipimage.jpg
This one has an integral diode for the coil.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would prefer to have all of them running to that switch. I had the headlight working on a 3 pole on/off before but I’m trying to keepit tidy and operational off of that switch.
A link to your switch please. Unless you have some kind of new computerized switch, I have my doubts that one switch will do all your asking. Headlights alone take a minimum three pole switch, and are usually control on a motorcycle with two switches, an on-off switch and a high-low beam switch.

Turn signals usually on a bike have two switches, one for left and one for right with the flasher power coming from the ignition switch. Then you didn't even mention a couple of more type lights that are used. One important one is the brake lights, controlled again by two switches, the hand brake lever/switch for the front brakes and the brake pedal switch for the rear brakes. With power coming again from the ignition switch. The other lights you didn't mention are the parking/running lights, while not overly important on a bike they are usually included and power comes from the headlight switch.

One thing not to forget is fuses, to protect the wire harnesses from causing a fire if there is a wire fault.

Ron2020

Joined Nov 2, 2020
There is nothing electrical existing aside from what I am adding. It is a bicycle. I’m no electrician and my drawing is only give myself some idea from info I gathered. Most likely not correct at all. The second photo is from my switch. Nothing computerized or powered whatsoever.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I’m no electrician and my drawing is only give myself some idea from info I gathered. Most likely not correct at all.
Electricians generally don't know much about electronics either...

I'd lose the relay. Don't see what it's doing because you have the coil always energized. If you need to switch something, a MOSFET will be more efficient. It will switch power to a load without dissipating much power itself.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
There is nothing electrical existing aside from what I am adding. It is a bicycle.
Even if it's not a motorcycle the wiring for the lights would be the same if your trying to make it like a motorcycle, which is what your first post with the lights you want are being used.