VCR motor to generator

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
if it can light up one Ld , it will be enough for me. i know all the other motors can be used as generator, but i really need this one to do it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well then you're stuck. Borrow a scope if you can.
If you are generating mV it would be difficult to fully understand what is going on without a scope.
With multiple windings you want to be able to see the phase relationship between windings. You cannot see that with a voltmeter.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
if it can light up one Ld , it will be enough for me. i know all the other motors can be used as generator, but i really need this one to do it.
Not following the fixation with this motor? Anything special about it being the main capstan motor and the tape eject drives are way more powerful motors to work with in respects to trying to generate power with.

After doing a quick search for VCR motor generator plans I do not see a single one that uses the tape head motor. Everything I found is using the either the main drive motor or the tape eject motors as generators and even then they are barely able to light up more than a LED or two.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
I'm more and more into giving up on it. this one looked good because of the size , bearings and it's easy to spin.. and all the other things i can't explain in english . . i just needed it to give me something and it sucks. haha. Maybe i will try to replace the coils and install brushes and stronger magnets on it. seems like the only way to get thos one generate .

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
Why is that funny?

A VCR motor was designed to spin a VCR recording/playback head in a VCR, not to generate electricity.
funny is that i have coils and magnets perfectly spaced between each other , on a wheel that is perfectly balanced and perfectly perfect and i have 4 wires coimng out of the coils and I can't make it generate anything , not even a little bit of that inefficient electricity.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
I know it generates something since there are magnets spinning around coils. but where to connect the leads of voltmeter or a consumer , to get that generated el. out.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
i took it appart and found out the inside of this one is completely different than the first one I messed up. it has air coils instead of solid ones, and magnet is spinning above them instead around them like on the first one. how much this effects the efficiency ? i will send picture in a minute.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
haha.. ok i also found out that those 4 wires are not coming out of the coils at all. i will now solder the wires coming from the coils to see what happens. thank you all for your time. i ill come back again to bother you little bit more. ;)

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
found the exits finnaly.. damn.. it works. was losing hope this can work at all. one more thing, what you think which coil seting should be more eficient ? this one i sent now or the one before ?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
haha.. ok i also found out that those 4 wires are not coming out of the coils at all. i will now solder the wires coming from the coils to see what happens. thank you all for your time. i ill come back again to bother you little bit more. ;)
54 posts and how many weeks to get to the point of figuring that out. :(

I think you are related to my wife and my head hurts now. :(

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
hahah, i know what you mean. but it's high speeds fault :( . hand couldn't do it no matter how hard i spin , i spin it with a rope and it light a led.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Practically all P.M. motors will generate if spun, voltage directly relative to rpm.
Max.
As long as you avoid the ones with onboard drive electronics, still - probably not too difficult to isolate the tails from the stator windings.

If its driven by a separate PCB, it should be easy, but the older ones have extra connections for hall effect position sensors that make tracing out more fun.