VCR motor to generator

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
Thank you for your replies. The thing is, i have this VCR motor, (Vcr Head) it has all i need for this project but it doesn't generate el.
my english is bad so i will use simpler words , i hope thats not a problem.
1. my plan is to build a magnetic V rail wheel to spin this generator, V rail will be build directly on the head of this motor..
my problem is, I don't know how to make this motor generate electricity. i saw some examples but that's not what i need. i need the magnets to spin ( not the coils) everything has to be on its place (bearings etc) was looking around for that and nobody did that. I believe it is possible .. but . . i am an amateur when it comes to that. All i have now is this vcr Head. what to do to make this head generate power. . ? sorry for this idk how to ask better.

I know almost every motor can be used as a generator , but this one is something else.. and I know it must be possible since there are magnets spining around the coils .. but I don't know how to make that happen. what do i need ? ( just don't say another hobby ;) i never got an answer on that one so far.. hope dies last .. right ,, :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It sounds like you have an 'Outrunner' as the RC crowd call them, you may even be able to run it on a RC motor drive, just a PWM in from a 555.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
:( how to make a generator out of vcr brushless motor? is that even possible?
I may be wrong on this but if your VCR Head Motor looks like this:

VCR Head Motor.png

Then it would be a 3 phase generator. The cover on the lower right is a ring magnet with alternating magnetic poles. There are nine coils on the left the magnets pass over. The trick is finding the 3 wires that exit as seen on the left. When spun the head is a 3 phase delta generator generating an AC signal whose frequency is a function of the rotational speed. From there the 3 phase AC can be passed on to a 3 phase rectifier network (6 diodes) and you get DC out. This is my guess anyway. The motor is the same motor found in CD and DVD drives but a much larger version. This is my guess anyway.

Ron

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
maybe you already answered me but like i said.. i'm a total amateur. :/ all i have is this. ( folowing picture ) can it be a generator if i spin it with nothing else than my hand ? without any incoming power at all.

my has 8 coils and same magnet ring like on that one Ron. maybe works the same , but idk. i wanna thank you for your time . i'll try to learn some more about it. if i mak i'll come back and share it with you. hope i'll succeed.

my plan is to increase the voltage ( whatever i get out of it ) and i will use that high voltage for the kick i need . idk how to explain what i want to make. , I guess have to learn english before .

Attachments

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
my Also has this circuit board on it. and idk.. i'm starting to lose interest but i need it.. never mind if i'm to complicated no hard feelings :)

and it has that magnetic switch i think (on the rotor) .. can that switch work without power input ? can it work while the wheel makes it's own power? thank you all I really apreciate.

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I am getting a possible scent of an attempt at a overunity motor here.

Magnetic V rail... High voltage fore kick I need... Motor powers itself.

Could be poor wording but me thinks maybe not. :eek:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
my Also has this circuit board on it. and idk.. i'm starting to lose interest but i need it.. never mind if i'm to complicated no hard feelings :)

and it has that magnetic switch i think (on the rotor) .. can that switch work without power input ? can it work while the wheel makes it's own power? thank you all I really apreciate.
The circuit board is part of the control. I have a small one sitting here from a CD/DVD deck. They also do have hall effect (magnetic) sensors used to pickup the speed. You need to look closely at the coils and how they connect to each other and where they exit like in the image I posted.

Ron

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
This is an example of what i'm trying to do. as you can see it's not finished yet. (you know my problem :) i managed to get some solid speed with those magnets (V rail ) you see in the first picture. then If I manage to get Anything out of that "generator" , voltage will be increased with .. (picture 2 ) that high voltage will be used for ( and now my english speaking comes and gets me. .) i think you al know how those magnetic V rail wheels work, so.. high voltage will be used for the kick to continue the spin.. i hope you understand what's this about.

Thank you all for your time really. you did help me, i hope i'll find this out , let's hope it's going to work.. :)

coils on this one are ending on 5 points.

Attachments

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
The circuit board is part of the control. I have a small one sitting here from a CD/DVD deck. They also do have hall effect (magnetic) sensors used to pickup the speed. You need to look closely at the coils and how they connect to each other and where they exit like in the image I posted.

Ron
They are connected .. 1-7 8-6 5-4 3-2 and they exit on 5 points.. damn.. this is hard via this..

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
should i rewind it with another wire .. this one looks suspicious . :/ this one has red coating on if that means anything.. maybe not ood for generating . idk

ok i got this.. i found where they end.. and now like i said.. they end on 5 points.. what should i do next?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
ok i got this.. i found where they end.. and now like i said.. they end on 5 points.. what should i do next?
That's strange, 5 points? Lets see you have 8 coils so maybe a 2 phase brushless motor rather than 3 phase. If you have an ohmmeter look at the 5 points you see and see if you can't find two pairs that show continuity.

Ron

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
That's strange, 5 points? Lets see you have 8 coils so maybe a 2 phase brushless motor rather than 3 phase. If you have an ohmmeter look at the 5 points you see and see if you can't find two pairs that show continuity.

Ron
ok. thank you Ron, i will do that. but right now i messed something up.. tried to connect the coils diferent way.. and ... long story short i need some more nerves and another motor... just a quick question, what if I connect the coils 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.. North south North south... do you think it will work that way? if not. i need another motor.. i hope this thread will not get old to fast . . i'm not giving up. coming back soon. 3 days top.