VCR motor to generator

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
Hi there , i'm back, "my 3 days " got a little bit longer . let me know if you're still here and when you're here , so we can continue . thank you.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
haha, that's good. Ok. i got another motor, I found three pairs of wires with continuity . what is next ?

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, 3 pairs. That could be 3 sets of windings (coils). Now what test equipment do you have? DMM, Scope? You can place a DMM across one set of leads, Set it to measure AC Volts and give the motor a spin and see if the meter does anything.

Ron

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
tried that, got nothing out.

this motor is stil on it's original circuit board , can that effect ?

two sets of wires are the same , one set of wire is ticker wire and not isolated the same.

does it have to be grounded?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The problem is not knowing what does what. I have a small motor laying here from a CD / DVD player. Looking at it I can figure out I have three lines to the coils (3 phases) and 6 lines which go to three hall effect sensors. All of these things can be configured different depending on what the lines do and things like leads for sensors. I have a few old VCRs laying around that I was going to trash, I should rip one apart and check out the motor. Without actually seeing what you have it's about impossible to guess what lines do what.

Ron

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
ok, I will talk to you tomorrow then , i will take a better look of this one too. i just don't get it.

you let me know when you get that one . thanks again.

I can't believe there is no one who knows this trough and trough. that's strange.

The problem is not knowing what does what. I have a small motor laying here from a CD / DVD player. Looking at it I can figure out I have three lines to the coils (3 phases) and 6 lines which go to three hall effect sensors. All of these things can be configured different depending on what the lines do and things like leads for sensors. I have a few old VCRs laying around that I was going to trash, I should rip one apart and check out the motor. Without actually seeing what you have it's about impossible to guess what lines do what.

Ron
ok, forget those wires from before, , directly From the coils I have Pink , white , grey, red. tried to connect in many ways , got nothing out , think about how exactly they have to be connected and do I need anything extra . thank you for your help.

And will I be needing this sensor, it has 4 wires as well. it's all still on the circuit board together. i will send picture.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I can't believe there is no one who knows this trough and trough. that's strange.
Well we know you are trying to make a small generator out of a old VCR tape head motor. After that we have no idea what you are spinning it with or how fast or what all you have still connected or disconnected from the actual windings.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
WHITE and RED have a Continuity , and and BROWN and PINK have a Continuity .

Attachments

Last edited:

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
Well we know you are trying to make a small generator out of a old VCR tape head motor. After that we have no idea what you are spinning it with or how fast or what all you have still connected or disconnected from the actual windings.
I'm just trying t make this motor give something out, i/m still spinning it with hand. must give me something out if it can work as a generator . i will be happy with 0000,1. must give me something .

do pictures help ?

I may be wrong, but if i drill the magnet housing on this motor and I put stronger magnets in. will that help generating more per revolution ? magnets on this kind of motors seem to be very weak. and besides that,, i still can't find where does generated el. exits . oh .. brush.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
ok, I will talk to you tomorrow then , i will take a better look of this one too. i just don't get it.

you let me know when you get that one . thanks again.

VCR's are an antiquated technology and the engineers that worked with them have long gone to their reward. Why should it surprise you?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why is that funny?

A VCR motor was designed to spin a VCR recording/playback head in a VCR, not to generate electricity.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have not personally delved into those motors, But anytime a magnet crosses a coil it generates a voltage. You must have something not quite connected correctly. Even the stepper motor types generate.
Just Google Wind Generator from VCR motor, you will get rafts of examples!!;)
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
i'm more frustrated than surprised. that no one knows how to connect it to be a generator . it's funny.
I had a career that spanned half a century and never encountered a VCR motor as a component. Since most of the VCR's and their motors were designed in Asia starting in about 1978, it hardly surprises me that few, if any, US engineers, including myself, have ever considered one of them as a component.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have not personally delved into those motors, But anytime a magnet crosses a coil it generates a voltage. You must have something not quite connected correctly. Even the stepper motor types generate.
Max.
I was going to say that after we heard back from the TS.

Whenever you have a changing magnetic field in a coil a voltage is generated.
Your test method is flawed.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Tape head motors are very weak electric motors to begin with so using them as a generator is going to be near useless for most anything practical other than maybe getting a few LED's to light up.

The simplest way to make one work would be to remove the circuit board and all of its connections to the motor and then connect the four leads coming from the motor coils to eight germanium diodes with two diodes on each lead. One going from negative to the lead and the second one from the lead to the positive for each of the four leads.

After that find a way to spin it up to high speed and you will get some power from it. Maybe 1 - 2 volts per 1000 RPM.

Personally if you want to make electrical power a tape head motor is one of the least efficient or favorable to use being most every other motor in a VCR can easily out perform it as a simple generator.

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
ok this was all helpful, thank' you gentlemen's ;) I know i'm doing something wrong , the thing is i don't know what . ok, so Diodes.. I will try to do that. not happy with the speed needed but can i change that by installing stronger magnets on magnet housing ?

don'tknow

Joined Feb 5, 2015
Max.
thank you Max, that was helpful , i always googled vcr generators only , never tried looking under wind turbines from it..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to unsolder the wires from the circuit board to test.
Then you need to connect one pair of wires to the input of an oscilloscope to view the waveform.