Unclear point about the connections on PCB

Sandima

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Greetings,

I have a card that I want do the design and get the gerber. I believe the connection ports on the left are RS232.

On the other side of the card the connection lines are clear, what I mean is I can easily see the which line goes from where to where.

But on the side that I have attached, I didnt understand the thick golden line. What is the purpose of it and what is the meaning of making it one thick line combining all the lines between left and right side ?

Any help would be appreciated :)2.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Sandima,
It is just a simple way of connecting the 0v/Ground line from the edge connector to the 9Way RS232 connectors.

E

Sandima

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Greetings all,
As @StefanZe suggested I did some measuring and found out that, thick golden line connects metal cases around RS232 pins (plaese check the new picture I added) to only undermost row of 32 rows of DIN41612.

Btw, the connection port on the right is DIN41612 with 32rows and a+c columns are loaded.
I still didnt get the idea why they did it as one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins but it actually connects to 2 (32-a and 32-c). Should I do the same in my design ?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
Greetings all,
As @StefanZe suggested I did some measuring and found out that, thick golden line connects metal cases around RS232 pins (plaese check the new picture I added) to only undermost row of 32 rows of DIN41612.

Btw, the connection port on the right is DIN41612 with 32rows and a+c columns are loaded.
I still didnt get the idea why they did it as one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins but it actually connects to 2 (32-a and 32-c). Should I do the same in my design ?

Thanks in advance.
Without knowing why they did it in the first place, it is difficult to say.

I would do the same in my design just to be safe.

Sandima

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Here is the other side of the card. Sorry for not sharing all at once.

Also didnt understand the jump from the 6th pin of the 2nd connector on the right side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Sand
one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins

That is not the way it is connected.

Under the connectors, there is a clear area with no copper from the wide/thick copper track connecting to pins through 1 to 9
The support tags on the two 9 way connectors are soldered to the wide track to hold the connectors in place, the 4 big soldered circular areas.

E
If you look carefully at the small image you can see a difference in colour shading where there the copper is not present.

1.jpeg1a.jpeg

Last edited:

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
hi Sand
one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins

That is not the way it is connected.

Under the connectors, there is a clear area with no copper from the wide/thick copper track connecting to pins through 1 to 9
The support tags on the two 9 way connectors are soldered to the wide track to hold the connectors in place, the 4 big soldered circular areas.

E
View attachment 287174
You only answered to have the sentence.
Full sentence:
I still didnt get the idea why they did it as one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins but it actually connects to 2 (32-a and 32-c)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I still didnt get the idea why they did it as one thick line looks like connects to 5*2=10 pins but it actually connects to 2 (32-a and 32-c)
Hi S.
What does this mean. ? 2 (32-a and 32-c)

Place marks on the images so that I can see what you mean

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
Hi S.
What does this mean. ? 2 (32-a and 32-c)

Place marks on the images so that I can see what you mean
32-a and 32-c are pins on the DIN41612 connector (the 2 pins on the bottom left of the first picture).

So the thick copper trace connect to 32-a and 32-c on the DIN41612 and to the metal case on the D-Sub9 connectors (RS232).

Sandima

Joined Apr 26, 2021
32-a and 32-c are pins on the DIN41612 connector (the 2 pins on the bottom left of the first picture).

So the thick copper trace connect to 32-a and 32-c on the DIN41612 and to the metal case on the D-Sub9 connectors (RS232).
Exactly, nevertheless attached you can find the photo of bottom pins. Thick line looks like it connects to bottom 5 pins but actually it does only to row32. 1675981733460.jpg

For my previous question, I would like to be more clear. Pin6 from the bottom RS232 goes to c7 but it also has a jump showed in red circle and I couldn't find where it goes.
1_2.jpeg

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
Exactly, nevertheless attached you can find the photo of bottom pins. Thick line looks like it connects to bottom 5 pins but actually it does only to row32. View attachment 287234

For my previous question, I would like to be more clear. Pin6 from the bottom RS232 goes to c7 but it also has a jump showed in red circle and I couldn't find where it goes.
View attachment 287235
Maybe it connects to pin 2 (or 1) of the same connector. Again use a multimeter to find the connection