Type of this electronic Object / device

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Hi guys, Im fixing my communication board called :
CENTRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E

and I found this device (see in the photo) is unattached /disconnected .. what type of this device? it sounds like capacitor but there's no symbol for if it's capacitor or whatever .. (there's nothing written on the device itself - I mean there's nothing written on the black color of the device)

Anyone please could tell me what is the type of this object/device .. if it's capacitor or transformer or what? thanks alot
attaching photo for:
20201207_234232.jpg

s14rs4

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Hello,

The device looks like an inductor (also called choke) to me.

Bertus
Y

and I found this device (see in the photo) is unattached /disconnected .. what type of this device? it sounds like capacitor but there's no symbol for if it's capacitor or whatever .. (there's nothing written on the device itself - I mean there's nothing written on the black color of the device)

Anyone please could tell me what is the type of this object/device .. if it's capacitor or transformer or what? thanks alot
attaching photo for:
View attachment 224388
It looks like an inductor, a ferrite core with a winding round it. Measure the resistance, if it is close to zero then it probably is.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Where I can buy one? I mean is there any online website for this? amazon? what should I type in google in order to buy like this?

appreciated

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
You can get inductors but how do you know which one without any markings? It would be like trying to buy the correct key without a key code and not knowing what brand or what it’s for.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
and I found this device (see in the photo) is unattached /disconnected ..
If you found it unattached, was it intended to be attached. That is, one end looks unsoldered; the other end looks like it was never soldered. Perhaps that end was wrapped on something for testing.

1) Did you do the unsoldering?
2) Can you identify what it was attached to?
3) Maybe it is something the previous person working on the set left behind by accident (like a surgeon accidentally leaving forceps in a patient).

Conclusion: Why do you think it is/was needed?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the item was disconnected and loose, was the board functioning to spec? If it has fallen off of a board and that made it stop working right, the spot it was in should be sort of obvious, I would think. And if you have a circuit diagram then finding where it should be will not be that difficult. Maybe. Since one lead appears to have been in a board hole, that should be simple to locate, and where the other end was tack-soldered should then be fairly easy to find. And given that the device is probably an inductor, those devices very seldom fail.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Hi guys, Yes it's inductor, I will post a thread explaining my problem (after I figure out it's inductor now I will explain why I need to fix / change it)

See please my next thread that I will post soon.

Appreciated for your help guys!

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
photo of this electronic device :
(I drawed two vectors with number 1, 2 in order to explain more easily with my following explanation)
InkedCommunication_LI.jpg

I also has another hardware board called
RISCO MODULO TCP/IP P/CENTRAL PROSYS PLUS RP512IP
photo of this electronic device:
comma.JPG

the RISCO MODULO(what I mentioned here above) is applied on CETRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (first one) , and it's applied where the vector of number 1 pointing there will be attached the RISCO MODULO.
So once I was attaching RISCO MODULO on my main board ( I mean with main board the CETRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E ) the Ethernet on RISCO MODULO was blinking with Yellow light leds when I connect my Ethernet cable to it (see please on the left there's a space for ethernet cable and when I connect my Ethernet cable to it it was working fine and there was a blinking Yellow leds like PC when you connect your ethernet there would be a light blinking leds )

All was fine and I dont know the RISCO MODULO (photo number 2) the ethernet isn't working even I guess that all the board electronic device isn't working at all , and I don't know why (I dont see blinking leds when I connect my ethernet cable as it was before ).

I found where's the second vector I pointed in my first photo this thing is unattached/disconnected (maybe there was a short electric in my house and managed to that I'm showing down to be disconnected :
dodo.jpg

You see the vector number 2 there's a small electronic device which once it was damaged and I send the board to repair it and it back with this device electronic that Im showing above instead of the small electronic device that it was before(first photo where vector number 2 pointing shows the small electronic device and it was replaced with the inductor that Im showing above - black inductor)
So now I see that my black inductor where it's place where the vector number 2 points is disconnected .. is it the problem why I don't have electric on my second electronic device RISCO MODULO (second photo) - the problem that I don't have ethernet working?

In the first photo , the vector number 1 is showing where I connect my RISCO MODULO on CENTRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (the device on first photo).

Any help if the problem that my RISCO MODULO(device electronic in the second photo) isn't working because the black inductor is disconnected or no? if so, what do you suggest to me to do in order to solve / figure out the problem (or to figure out the damaged device electronic) ?

To sum up, I dont know where the problem is (why my RISCO MODULO - ethernet isn't working) , all what I found that where I pointed in the vector number 2 in the first photo there was a disconnected black inductor..so maybe it's the problem that prevent current / voltage go to RISCO MODULO from CENTRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (the device of the first photo)

I have voltmeter so I can measure current/volt/resistor.

Really appreciated guys for any help

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If it's a capacitor, check it with an ohm meter. The resistance value will continue to change ever higher and higher (or even into the negative range). If it's an inductor, check it with an ohm meter. Its resistance should be close to a dead short. If it's a blown inductor (very very rare circumstances) it will show open, that is to say no conducting going on.

If it shows open it could be a broken inductor or it could be some sort of spark gap. But like so many others, it looks like an inductor.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
photo of this electronic device :
(I drawed two vectors with number 1, 2 in order to explain more easily with my following explanation)
View attachment 224448

I also has another hardware board called
RISCO MODULO TCP/IP P/CENTRAL PROSYS PLUS RP512IP
photo of this electronic device:
View attachment 224449

the RISCO MODULO(what I mentioned here above) is applied on CETRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (first one) , and it's applied where the vector of number 1 pointing there will be attached the RISCO MODULO.
So once I was attaching RISCO MODULO on my main board ( I mean with main board the CETRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E ) the Ethernet on RISCO MODULO was blinking with Yellow light leds when I connect my Ethernet cable to it (see please on the left there's a space for ethernet cable and when I connect my Ethernet cable to it it was working fine and there was a blinking Yellow leds like PC when you connect your ethernet there would be a light blinking leds )

All was fine and I dont know the RISCO MODULO (photo number 2) the ethernet isn't working even I guess that all the board electronic device isn't working at all , and I don't know why (I dont see blinking leds when I connect my ethernet cable as it was before ).

I found where's the second vector I pointed in my first photo this thing is unattached/disconnected (maybe there was a short electric in my house and managed to that I'm showing down to be disconnected :
View attachment 224450

You see the vector number 2 there's a small electronic device which once it was damaged and I send the board to repair it and it back with this device electronic that Im showing above instead of the small electronic device that it was before(first photo where vector number 2 pointing shows the small electronic device and it was replaced with the inductor that Im showing above - black inductor)
So now I see that my black inductor where it's place where the vector number 2 points is disconnected .. is it the problem why I don't have electric on my second electronic device RISCO MODULO (second photo) - the problem that I don't have ethernet working?

In the first photo , the vector number 1 is showing where I connect my RISCO MODULO on CENTRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (the device on first photo).

Any help if the problem that my RISCO MODULO(device electronic in the second photo) isn't working because the black inductor is disconnected or no? if so, what do you suggest to me to do in order to solve / figure out the problem (or to figure out the damaged device electronic) ?

To sum up, I dont know where the problem is (why my RISCO MODULO - ethernet isn't working) , all what I found that where I pointed in the vector number 2 in the first photo there was a disconnected black inductor..so maybe it's the problem that prevent current / voltage go to RISCO MODULO from CENTRAL LIGHTSYS RP432M00000E (the device of the first photo)

I have voltmeter so I can measure current/volt/resistor.

Really appreciated guys for any help
Here's my problem that Im trying to fix / understand.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's a picture of the main board from the Central Lightsys site:

1607456054911.png
Source: https://www.riscogroup.com/products/product/122

It does not look like anything is missing where arrow (vector) #2 is pointing. That location looks like where a component might go, but it is not populated. It is not unusual to find that situation on devices.

I still suspect that inductor was left there accidentally, perhaps by a repair person. Your thought that it may have shorted something and caused damage seems plausible. That damage could be whey it does not work now. For example, an IC subjected to a short can be damaged internally with no visible marks on the outside.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Here's a picture of the main board from the Central Lightsys site:

View attachment 224457
Source: https://www.riscogroup.com/products/product/122

It does not look like anything is missing where arrow (vector) #2 is pointing. That location looks like where a component might go, but it is not populated. It is not unusual to find that situation on devices.

I still suspect that inductor was left there accidentally, perhaps by a repair person. Your thought that it may have shorted something and caused damage seems plausible. That damage could be whey it does not work now. For example, an IC subjected to a short can be damaged internally with no visible marks on the outside.
Hi, it seems I didn't clear more in my thread post / commend . I said yeah the repair person has replaced the component where arrow #2 is pointing.

So Im asking because I found that inductor is disconnected , then there's no electric on the second hardware component?

Im also looking for datasheet on the internet that I didn't find of this hardware (first photo of my last comment) , I guess if I can find it it may help me.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I doubt there will be any datasheet or schematic for the board on the Internet. Manufactures rarely do that today as they want to protect their intellectual property. Sometimes, there will be a reverse-engineered schematic or something someone got from a technical repair manual.

If you have searched and can't find it, finding a schematic may be a lost cause. How much does a new device cost? Is it worth sending in again for repair, if available? Again, a lot of electronic devices are simply "replace" as repair costs more.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That part may just have fallen into the assembly with those circuit boards, as it dores not appear to be of a similar era of technology, given that those boards seem to be mostly surface mount components., including at least one inductor. That does happen occasionally when somebody is unsoldering parts from something else.

and just like was already stated, some organizations are not equipped to service or repair, only to replace. Building boards to a drawing only takes good soldering skills and decent reading ability, not any electronic knowledge at all. So that is why there are assembly changers and few board fixers.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
So guys, isn't the problem that there's no electric on the attached/applied second hardware (RISC MODULO) that the inductor isn't attached?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The boards are supplied with power (e.g., often 3.3 V or 5 V). A short between two component pads by the bare wire on the inductor could cause the problem