Topo Map with flashing LED

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
With possible mixed families of IC's I checked drive of 74HCXX at 5V with about same result as with 6V.
I believe a 5V supply should work fine for all 3 parts, & seem a bit more available like All Electronics CAT No PS-544, 5V @ 4A.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
With possible mixed families of IC's I checked drive of 74HCXX at 5V with about same result as with 6V.
I believe a 5V supply should work fine for all 3 parts, & seem a bit more available like All Electronics CAT No PS-544, 5V @ 4A.

Should I buy a 5v PS or should I get a transformer, and run a 7405 reg?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You are much better with CMOS equivalents. 5V is way too limiting.

I've been busy, so I have not had a lot of time to spend on this thread, other that the design on the 100 LED seq, which is ongoing.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016

I've been busy, so I have not had a lot of time to spend on this thread, other that the design on the 100 LED seq, which is ongoing.

No problem. I am organizing the 100 led PCB and would also like to work on 256. A quick question, which is the best way for the circuits?

When you press the button, I would like the fade in & out circuit to start the program and stay on for 15 secs and the go back to reset. I don't want to be able to keep pressing the button to disrupt the program. I would like to start and finish the run without interruption. Will your circuits and my drawing do this or do I have to make some changes?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You will have to make some changes. I am designing a build in oscillator to make the circuit "move", which is the 555. Are you wanting the fading to also go with the sequenced LEDs? In other words, the whole display, all the LEDs, fade simultaneously? It can be done that way, but there will be several changes to the base design of what I am doing.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Might go back and re read posts 34 & 88, Lock Out. Four switches control the operation, 1- Reset, provides both high & low reset; Red SW starts pulsing 300 red LEDs for 15 sec. while blocking Green & Blue . Blue SW runs blue Stream for 15 sec. & Green SW runs 256 green sequencing LED's. Outputs from the 3- 555's would normally go to 555 clock
reset pin 4 & possibly inversion if a + reset is required.
If there are no LED's in series then I see no reason why a 5V supply is not sufficient. With 4017's I do not see any circuits that do not have drivers. When all of the circuits are firmed up then we will know the requirements.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I thought lednoob might want to practice dead bug wiring with part of CHASER-256 LED's as he already has the IC's, maybe just use 2- 74154's + a 74154 for control. Estimating green LED Vf of 2.5V, the current limiting resistor, lower right would be about 200 ohms with VCC of 5 V. As all LED anodes are common it would be a place to inject pulsing to the string.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
I thought lednoob might want to practice dead bug wiring with part of CHASER-256 LED's as he already has the IC's, maybe just use 2- 74154's + a 74154 for control. Estimating green LED Vf of 2.5V, the current limiting resistor, lower right would be about 200 ohms with VCC of 5 V. As all LED anodes are common it would be a place to inject pulsing to the string.

I want give the dead bug a try just for the experience. I do like how clean the circuit boards are. Never done dead bug wiring on chips. i was afraid of overheating the IC's but i'm willing to give it a go

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
You will have to make some changes. I am designing a build in oscillator to make the circuit "move", which is the 555. Are you wanting the fading to also go with the sequenced LEDs? In other words, the whole display, all the LEDs, fade simultaneously? It can be done that way, but there will be several changes to the base design of what I am doing.

I want the red LED's to just fade in and out for 15 secs separately from the other LED's. Each color will do it's own sequence or dance independently unless I can incorporate them together but I thought it would be less complicated if each were on their own circuit. If you think it won't be that complicated then I can update the schematic. I wanted to finalize the 100 LED circuit then do the 256 LED circuit next. I have to go pack and look at those posts, Thanks All!

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016

I do like 12v because it seems like a good standard like car batteries

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is my plan. I'm well on the way to implementing the 100 sequencer because it is simpler.

I will tweak the 256 counter a few times to optimize the design, but it would work as is.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
That is my plan. I'm well on the way to implementing the 100 sequencer because it is simpler.

I will tweak the 256 counter a few times to optimize the design, but it would work as is.
would love to see what your tweaks are when done

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016

Hi Wendy, im gonna draw up a schematic with your controller. aplease correct it for me. THX