Topo Map with flashing LED

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A distractive thought: On the green chaser it was once mentioned that it would be nice to have a tail on the chaser.
On the post " 4017 counter- LED's to stay on" by allenpitts , it was suggested by dannyf, post # 29, to use diode OR gates, but disadvantage was brought out by Wendy, post # 13, well this disadvantage might work well in providing a tail. A rough example using a 74HC154 SR as sequential source, lo output has a diode on each output, K to pin & diodes connecting the first diodes, bottom A to A. 460 ohm R's & 2.5 V LED's complete example. Starting with# 10 , first D drop.7V, LED I = 5 mA; #9( # 10 still on ), .7V & .6 V, LED I =3.7 mA; #8 LED I =2.4 mA;
#7 LED =1.1 mA; # 6 LED out of steam, for total of 12.2 mA. The tail length depends on diode drop so shottky D's would stretch tail as would a higher VCC. ??
A 4017 can supply 12 mA or a buffer like 74FCT244AEP ( $ .35 ), 64 mA low, 15 mA high. or one of ULNXXX family- or transistors.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That was indeed the intent. Eventually I'll turn this into a PCB, but it takes longer to build em than to draw them.

I like to draw concept circuits. I also have a variable power supply, a 100W Class D Audio amp, and several other projects drawn and on the back burner over the years.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
That was indeed the intent. Eventually I'll turn this into a PCB, but it takes longer to build em than to draw them.

I like to draw concept circuits. I also have a variable power supply, a 100W Class D Audio amp, and several other projects drawn and on the back burner over the years.

Hey just a thought, do you remember I want to add a push button switch to trigger the chase circuit but what about adding another 555 as a adjustable timer to trigger a solid state relay to supply 12v to your circuit? This way the pressing of the button will engage the relay for 10 to 15 secs and shut off. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is more than practical. A simple 555 monostable connected to a transistor would do it. If you want the 12V side switched on and off it is slightly more complicated, but only slightly. I suspect 15 seconds for a 256 count is a bit short, but it can be very adjustable.

The base circuit starts here, I'll show a transistor add on later.

555 Monostable

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
New version of Stream, breadboarded with 20 blue LED's using low side drive & blue flickering LED for signal
source. A comparator is used for signal shifting. Led current about 5 mA & quite visible. Out of time for now.Stream #2 00000.jpg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A power on monostable (the MOSFET is not critical)...

Power Resettable Mono.png

Minor revision on 16 output controller (look at the power up reset)...

16 output counter.gif

Last edited:

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
A power on monostable (the MOSFET is not critical)...

View attachment 100203

Minor revision on 16 output controller (look at the power up reset)...

View attachment 100202

Hi Wendy sorry for the late reply. I got a cold with good ol sore throat and sinus crap. So a couple of questions, what diode do you prefer for C1 - 8? Where does the output of the monostable go to? To the power up reset C1? The regular vcc pin 16 of the 4017 should have the constant 12v correct?

Also, the bank of caps 100uf, & .1 (C3 - C8), where are these connected to?

Well in off to do Nyquill

Thanks,

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The diodes are not important, it can be almost any device. I lucked into a large bunch of 1N4007 a long time ago, or it can be 1N918 / 1N4484s.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
The diodes are not important, it can be almost any device. I lucked into a large bunch of 1N4007 a long time ago, or it can be 1N918 / 1N4484s.
What about the ocher questions.

Where does the output of the monostable go to? To the power up reset C1? The regular vcc pin 16 of the 4017 should have the constant 12v correct?

Also, the bank of caps 100uf, & .1 (C3 - C8), where are these connected to?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The output of the monostable is the timed power, per your request. I didn't bother to show the ground connection, the output of the MOSFET is power.

Look above the caps, where it defines the circle as the power supply connection and the voltages. They are filter caps for the chips, something every circuit should have.

Decoupling or Bypass Capacitors, Why?

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
The output of the monostable is the timed power, per your request. I didn't bother to show the ground connection, the output of the MOSFET is power.

Look above the caps, where it defines the circle as the power supply connection and the voltages. They are filter caps for the chips, something every circuit should have.

Got it. I was thinking that the caps are used as filters in a power supply to get rid of the ripples. Sorry for the confusion. I just don't want to make mistakes drawing the schematic and building a board. Love to have you proof read it. Thanks!

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016

Hi Wendy, do you have the current schematic LED controller PCB file? Just trying to save some time. If not that's ok, ill work on it. It's hard to concentrate with my 5 year old twin boy & girl being noisy.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
See post #100.

It is out of date, I have a new image for the actual PCB layout.
Hi Wendy, so the output of the monostable supplies the power to pin 16 of the 4017's? Just want to make sure. What about R4, C2, and R6? Also output of the monostable? Thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
? Post # 159 = yes.
On Stream #2, C1, 555-2 is .2 uF. Either 74LS164 or 74HC164 will work but as the LS has poor high output
it was wired as low side output with a disadvantage of if the Clear is low, all LED's would be on. Not a problem
if Wendy's timer-power control were used. The 74HC164 has = output drive high or low so Stream #3 is configured for high output V, making Clear available for logic disable.Stream #3 00000.jpg