Three stage Asynchronous counter design

ham3388

Joined Jul 3, 2012
Hi every one....
Im doing a distance learning course " Digital and Analog Devices and Circuits " .
Im stuck on the following question because I dont where from to start.
My confusion:
The counter outputs are 3 only, Q1 , Q2 , and Q3 but the logic outputs are 4 , A,B,C and D.
The truth table is not a Natural binary table.
So far I have not seen a 4 bit table with only 3 output of a flip-flop.
Could you please guide me to understand the question and help me to find the correct solution .Q3.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Add three columns to the table for Q1, Q2, and Q3 and you will see that your table really only has eight rows.

ham3388

Joined Jul 3, 2012
20160812_114307.jpg

Let us go step by step so I will be able to understand the things better.
Let us to clear the first point.
Where D has come from?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
As suggested add the binary counter sequence.
'D' is simple, ref image, you complete the remainder.

How many bits change in the Table for each clock pulse.?

E

Attachments

ham3388

Joined Jul 3, 2012
One thing got clear for me, the table has got only 8 unique states
But still not understanding the D logic at all.
I think my knowledge about counter designing is too poor.
I need more guidance. I'm trying to find some more worked examples about designing asynchronous counter but not getting. I facing a tough time right now.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You have two things to design -- the "Counter" (which uses sequential logic) and the "Logic" (which does not).

You can tackle them separately. Break problems down into smaller chunks that can be solved one chunk at a time.

First tackle the counter. What if you were just given a problem to design a counter that counted pulses modulo-8, meaning that after the seventh pulse it wrapped back around to zero. Could you do that? If so, then do that. Don't even think about the "Logic" part of it until you have the counter done and working.

ham3388

Joined Jul 3, 2012
To eric:

Thanks Eric. ....
I went through the pdf , the truth table of Johnson counter using 4 flip flops was similar to table 1 and it is a syncrononous counter.
Here in the question a 3 stage asynchronous counter is given but with a similar truth table.
Do you suggest to use 4 flip flop counter?
Is that you mean?

Cheers
Screenshot_2016-08-13-01-45-15.png

To WBahn :

Thank you very much.
Based on my knowledge and capability I designed the following counter. I guess the counter will reset after the count 8 automatically because it can not go beyond that.
Let me know your opinion about this.

Cheers

20160813_014355.jpg

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Wait a minute. Wasn't your assignment said to use D flip flop?

Did you try your circuit in post #6 in the lab or using a simulator?

Allen

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Yes, that should work. Now you have completed part a) of your assignment. Take a closer look at part b) and design a logic circuit that would convert 3 bit binary counter output to the pattern of the truth table.

Allen