Thought for the day...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Huge problem here. We have massive Live Oaks that are hundreds of years old and grow in groves. The ancient trees have crowded all the others out. Not too many of the old oaks left due to cutting for building construction. Many that are left are huge lone specimens in yards and parks. The state record (a common claim throughout Georgia) is a few miles away and it is over 14' in diameter.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
1601415645324.png
At the risk of saying something stupid, my opinion is that L1 will glow more intense. This because the same amount of current will be flowing through both light bulbs. But since W=I²R, that means that more power will be dissipated (and hence more light produced) at the light bulb with the higher resistance. And that has to be L1, which has a lower power rating than L2 at the same voltage.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As usual it's not about current as an absolute measurement, it's about power (energy) distribution and in the case of a filament bulb, filament temperature.

For the example problem, the resistivity of tungsten is fairly linear at visible temperatures so it's mainly an ohmic solution.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The price of hubris:

Of the 520 drivers, just five considered that they were worse than average – fewer than 1%. The rest – even the truly abysmal drivers who were constantly making errors – considered themselves to be at least as good as the next person, and many thought they were a lot better. It was, essentially, a mass delusion that rendered them completely blind to their own failings.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Today, on LinkedIn, a post by Frank E Estell:

The only bird that will peck at a Eagle is the crow. He sits on his back and bites his neck. The eagle does not respond or fight with the crow it doesn't waste time or energy on the crow.

It simply opens its wings and begins to rise higher in the sky .The higher the flight the harder it is for the crow to breathe and then the crow falls due to lack of oxygen.

Stop wasting your time with the crows.

Just take them to your heights and they'll fade.
https://wgme.com/news/local/maine-e...-harassed-by-crows-and-flying-into-power-line
Last Friday, one of those eagles met an untimely end, apparently after a bunch of hungry crows — a “murder,” if you prefer — harassed it until it flew into a power line and was electrocuted.

While the jury is out on whether the murder of crows actually murdered the eagle, Tapley said he felt bad for the deceased bird.

“He had his breakfast, but he never got the chance to eat it,” Tapley said. “The poor guy. He was just trying to get away from those damn crows.”

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It must have been one of those very high voltage power lines or the eagle had a lot of capacitance to ground. Small birds sit on power lines all the time and I've never seen one get hurt just sitting there.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It must have been one of those very high voltage power lines or the eagle had a lot of capacitance to ground. Small birds sit on power lines all the time and I've never seen one get hurt just sitting there.
Most of the time it's under 11kV where line to line spacing is short. The wings of large bird can easily short across the phase to phase line spacing

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
No, it makes you a god.
Ok. So let me ask this:

Since one's ability to deal with his imperfections is the measure of his ability to inspire, would that not imply those with the greatest imperfections -- the least able, and the most corrupt among us -- have the greatest ability to inspire us?

I'm not buying it. Sounds like another altruistic gimmick to divorce our minds from reality.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm just taking the proposition to it's logical conclusion.

Only to one who's mind is divorced from objective reality.
Alright... let's get philosophical then. What do you think about perfection in photography, for instance? Or the human face? What would happen to the human face if it were perfectly symmetrical?

1602076733339.png
My point: symmetrical imperfection is essential for natural beauty, at least visually speaking.