Things that go "BEEP!" in the night...

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I can't believe one press of that button will provide eternal silence.
Surely you'll replace the battery, to keep the box working or to prevent the battery leaking nasty stuff?
Not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably call Verizon tech support and see what they recommend.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Dunno; I'm not going to mess with it right now, as I'm not sure what will happen if I disconnect the battery. Bottom line is, it's working normally (so far).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Dunno; I'm not going to mess with it right now, as I'm not sure what will happen if I disconnect the battery. Bottom line is, it's working normally (so far).
Took some pics for you.

Unlikely you will want or be able to mess with it yourself. Starting from the top is the power pack. I am beginning to wonder if that was there before or the tech added it in place of the charger. I at least remember that he added a new cable. Connector circled in red. I think you might need to have a service call from Verizon or get them to send you a power pack and/or connector.

upload_2017-6-18_17-24-31.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
All of my non-mobile phones in the house (I have 5) are POTS phones. The FIOS service connects them, maps the interfaces and then goes out over fiber. It is this interface that requires the battery backup. In its early days, all of the phones in a house to which FIOS provided connections, were POTS

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Took some pics for you.
Thanks. Mine's completely different.

I'll put in a call to Verizon this week.

EDIT: I found this page on Verizon.com. Key info:

"If your home phone service is provided through our state-of-the-art fiber optic network it requires electric power to operate. Depending on your Verizon equipment, you have one of two backup battery options available for your Verizon voice service - either the PowerReserve or the Battery Backup Unit. With a fully charged battery in place, you will have 8-20 hours of backup battery power for emergency voice services, including Emergency 911 dialing, depending upon your specific device.

If you have a backup battery, and do not have voice service through Verizon, or if you do not need your voice service during a power outage, you can disconnect the backup battery."

Since I'm not using Fios for phone, I'll just disconnect the battery.

Last edited:

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
A lot of us multi-thousand posters have become comfortable with each other. AAC is not so much a bunch of nerds competing with and criticizing each other as it is helping the noobie nerds (and sometimes each other), and enjoying break time in Off Topic.:)
This "drift" is important. Many other inventions and ideas come up because of small (and mostly artistic) distractions: https://www.psychologytoday.com/files/attachments/1035/arts-foster-scientific-success.pdf

In other words, if you stumble into a dead end during a work, grab a guitar/violin/piano, or just draw something on a piece of paper. The brain works in very mysterious ways! :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In other words, if you stumble into a dead end during a work, grab a guitar/violin/piano, or just draw something on a piece of paper.
I know this instinctively, and probably most of the top 100 players on this site do.
I was only 4 when I told my mother, "I asked my brain a question and I'm waiting for the answer."
The idea of an unconscious processor in my head is supported by experience.
It seems certain to me that anybody who works with problem solving knows...back to Archimedes and them some.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So I got up and spent the next four hours checking every single !@##%^*# electronic device I could find: phone, spare phone, laptops, blood glucose meter, TENS unit, Kindle, my little DSO Nano pocket oscilloscope, my collection of pocket DVMs, my capacitance meter, and even the red laser crosshairs accessory on my drill press.
You have a laser guided drill press in your apartment? I imagine your Indian S&M drug dealer neighbors have stories about the guy who runs industrial machinery on the 2nd floor and has a smoke detector he doesn't care to change batteries in.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A recipe is in order now in the Grill Thread.

kv
I haven't written mine down yet but here's one that looks pretty good. It seems the grits aficionados agree this is the best source of grits. I'm not at that level yet and just use the Quaker? grits I could find at Walmart. I basically follow the recipe on the bag for cheesy grits and then make blackened shrimp to lay on top. I use Joe's Stuff from the New Orleans School of Cooking.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009