Things that go "BEEP!" in the night...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
FOUND IT!!!

My Verizon FIOS fiber-to-cable converter box, wall-mounted in a closet in the back room, is begging for a new 12V 8 A-H SLA backup battery. I was rooting around in the closet looking for something this morning, with my ear about a foot away from the converter box, when BEEP!!!! It was damned loud.

So I hit the SILENCE ALARM button, and haven't heard a beep since.

See post #42. You said you will ignore it. You promised. :rolleyes:

Of course you did qualify it saying you were 99% sure it is not your equipment. So not sure where we stand here. ;)

Now you can turn all of your attention dealing with "the noise" from the neighbors. ;)

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
See post #42. You said you will ignore it. You promised. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but with that irresistible SILENCE ALARM button staring me in the face, what could I do but push it?

Now you can turn all of your attention dealing with "the noise" from the neighbors. ;)
Nah. I've had neighbors a LOT more exciting than this (like the middle-aged Indian couple who were into S&M, or the drug dealers, or the young Chinese students who fought like cats); these two are just same-old-same-old.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My Verizon FIOS fiber-to-cable converter box, wall-mounted in a closet in the back room, is begging for a new 12V 8 A-H SLA backup battery.
Your box has a backup battery? Is that normal? I'm not sure I understand the logic of that. If your power goes out, who cares if you still have cable?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Your box has a backup battery? Is that normal?
Beats me; I've never encountered this kind of arrangement before.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of that. If your power goes out, who cares if you still have cable?
Agreed. If the power goes out, I'd still have fiber-to-cable translation; but the wireless router doesn't have any power backup, nor does the TV or its set-top box, so I don't see the point of keeping the FTC box alive.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
For his VOIP phone. Verizon provides phone as well as internet and TV. Battery is for phone only.

FYI I have a battery backup on my box too but I don't have Verizon phone so the battery backup is useless. I was having issues with it shutting down so the tech came in and bypassed the battery backup and disabled it.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
For his VOIP phone. Verizon provides phone as well as internet and TV. Battery is for phone only.
Hmmm... it might be to power the POTS connection on the fiber interface box; it has a phone jack to connect a regular, "land-line" type phone. As for VOIP, I don't see how that would work without the router, and that doesn't have backup power.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hmmm... it might be to power the POTS connection on the fiber interface box; it has a phone jack to connect a regular, "land-line" type phone. As for VOIP, I don't see how that would work without the router, and that doesn't have backup power.
Your "box" has its own IP connection. You will notice an RJ45 connector on the box which can be used. Phone goes over that connection directly. Or maybe Verizon has its own protocol for phone. Don't know for sure since I never had Verizon phone. Either way the battery is for the Verizon phone connection.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I don't think voice goes over POTS (i.e. no twisted pairs to the outside). It goes over fiber just like everything else.
Sorry. What I meant is that the fiber-to-cable box has a jack for an old-style phone. I used to use it, but I abandoned it eventually because of excessive junk calls; now I only use my cellphone.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sorry. What I meant is that the fiber-to-cable box has a jack for an old-style phone. I used to use it, but I abandoned it eventually because of excessive junk calls; now I only use my cellphone.

That is why you had the battery then. You can now bypass it if you wish to.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
That is why you had the battery then. You can now bypass it if you wish to.
It isn't clear how to do that, as the installer didn't leave any wiring diagrams or other documentation with me; and in any case, I don't care. So I'm just going to leave it alone.

Things that go "BEEP!" in the night...
Last time I experienced that particular species of aggravation - it turned out (following a two hours long 'audio fox hunt') to be a key-fob advising me that it and its associated automobile were separated by a distance of greater than 1 km (a fact with which I was well acquainted):rolleyes:

Congrats on running your quarry to earth!:)

Very best regards
HP:)