Simple soldering issue on a USB cable

onlyimadz

Joined May 1, 2024
Hello guys, i'm new on this forum
i just bought a camera without the charging cable
the model : Nikon Coolpix S2600
i found a AV cable with the same connector, what i want to do is pretty simple in fact, but without any documentation it's became really hard
do you know how can i solder a +5V and a Ground on it ?
i just want to recharge the camera, to transfer data i'll just use the SD card
There is 8 Pins on it and i don't know which one is the ground or the +5v
IMG_3284.jpg

Attachments

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I thought I would add that while I believe it is possible to create a custom cord the issue is going to be mapping the pins in the connector to the appropriate terminals. It's going to be next to impossible to find any information on the connector pictured other than what was linked in the original post.

Sometimes you are just better off finding something that is already available.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are two issues hre: Actually soldering the wires to the connector will be the simple and easy part if the TS has a decent soldering tool with the right tip. The very daunting challenge is knowing which pads are which. For that an adequate drawing with adequate labels is mandatory! That document attached to post#1 gives the function of each pin but no hint as to the location. The big problem is that there are quite a few TOTALLY DIFFERENT numbering schemes in common use. At least that is what I have seen. So until an adequate correct location map is available it is not a good choice to build a cable.
A person might be lucky, or not.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Actually if you look close enough the graphic in the original post has all the information you need to map the pins to the corresponding terminals on the outside of the connector. It's just going to take some patience and the right equipment. Obviously if the TS has the equipment and the skills the question would not have been asked in the first place. The chances of finding a listing of the external terminals is what I was referring to myself... it's just not going to be out there.

Personally unless I was in an absolute crunch for time I would order a replacement cable and avoid the mess to begin with. I also am not a fan of SD cards as portable storage and would much rather connect a cable instead of moving cards around.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I guess that we do have a graphic that shows the pin numbering So all the TS needs to do is see which of te solder points in the back end connect to the positions in the front. That certainly is possible. but a bit tedious. But for a charging cable? I suppose.
I wish the TS success!!

bordonbert

Joined Feb 21, 2012
If I am seeing your problem correctly I have a link which may help here. The problem is that I can't seem to access it at the moment, it times out. I know it has been useful in the fairly recent past for my own Fuji setup when I needed an extended release cable.

It is on www.doc-diy.net and you are looking for a section that I have bookmarked as www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/

If you do a search for "camera remote release USB pinout" The site is at the head of the hits. If you then select "Images" you can see some of the pinouts which are on the site. They do say they have full pinouts for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony. If the site comes back up you may find something useful there. Hope this helps.

onlyimadz

Joined May 1, 2024
Some people suggest me to buy a new cable from online market, however Amazon does not deliver in my country and for other sites like Aliexpress the delivery is horribly long, it takes several months, that's why I posted this thread

onlyimadz

Joined May 1, 2024
If I am seeing your problem correctly I have a link which may help here. The problem is that I can't seem to access it at the moment, it times out. I know it has been useful in the fairly recent past for my own Fuji setup when I needed an extended release cable.

It is on www.doc-diy.net and you are looking for a section that I have bookmarked as www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/

If you do a search for "camera remote release USB pinout" The site is at the head of the hits. If you then select "Images" you can see some of the pinouts which are on the site. They do say they have full pinouts for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony. If the site comes back up you may find something useful there. Hope this helps.
I'll try to see if there is web archive of this page, thanks for your help

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I went back to post #1 and it seems that the only need to for charging, which requires only two connections. And with the help pf the graphic it seems that it should be possible to assemble a charging cable.
Aside from soldering tools, the other need is a means to check continuity in both the connector and the USB cable.

And one other question for the TS: Have you already verified that the camera works??

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Some people suggest me to buy a new cable from online market, however Amazon does not deliver in my country and for other sites like Aliexpress the delivery is horribly long, it takes several months, that's why I posted this thread
My apologies for that. Sometimes it's too easy to forget that not everyone has the same access to parts and such.

onlyimadz

Joined May 1, 2024
OK, I went back to post #1 and it seems that the only need to for charging, which requires only two connections. And with the help pf the graphic it seems that it should be possible to assemble a charging cable.
Aside from soldering tools, the other need is a means to check continuity in both the connector and the USB cable.

And one other question for the TS: Have you already verified that the camera works??
Yes the camera works perfectly i verified it with another battery

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and that verification was important, really. I have, in the past, received items that claimed "to only require a power cord" , but when correct power connections were made it became obvious that the application of an incorrect power cord had done some damage. Thus my question.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Here's a battery charger for that camera.
https://www.amazon.com/Batmax-EN-EL19-Battery-Charger-Coolpix/dp/B0CX8MG76M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa
It's on Amazon, and yes, I know you said Amazon doesn't deliver to your location. Perhaps you can find someone locally who has one for sale. eBay might be an option.

As for charging batteries inside the camera - I'm not a fan of that approach. But to each their own.

As for fixing a cable, like @MisterBill2 suggests, the right soldering tools are important. As well as clocking of the pins. Clocking refers to which pin is located where. You'll have to identify which pin is pin #1. According to your post pin 1 gets the +5V. Ground is the opposite end. Get +5V and Gnd backwards and you no longer have a camera. But you CAN use an old phone charger for that. The one posted appears to be USB type C. I don't know if your camera uses USB-C or one of the earlier USB's. IF it's USB-C (for that matter you should be able to look up which pin is pin 1 somewhere on the internet. It's GOT to be somewhere.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Never looked up the pinout of USB-C before. Since it's a non-polarized plug (can be plugged in either way) there is a top row and a bottom row. You can flip the connector over and still have proper connections. My guess is you don't have USB-C. It appears pins A4 & A9 (also B4 & B9) are V+ (5V). You said your connector has 8 pins. If so - it's obviously not USB-C. Had to look back to see. Likely USB-B of one or another type B sort.

Show us a picture of the connector from the end (not the wiring end, though that may be useful too). Pictures looking directly into the connector if you can.
Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 7.29.02 AM.png

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Digging deeper into your issue, it's clear you don't have USB-C. Ignore post #17. Up to the point of which connector you have. What's more important is identifying which pins are pin 1 and pin 8. If you have a multimeter of some sort you may be able to identify which pin is pin 1. Pin 8 will be on the opposite end. Or vice versa.

Usually there's some sort of marking on the connector body the location of pin 1. More pictures will help.

onlyimadz

Joined May 1, 2024
Digging deeper into your issue, it's clear you don't have USB-C. Ignore post #17. Up to the point of which connector you have. What's more important is identifying which pins are pin 1 and pin 8. If you have a multimeter of some sort you may be able to identify which pin is pin 1. Pin 8 will be on the opposite end. Or vice versa.

Usually there's some sort of marking on the connector body the location of pin 1. More pictures will help.
Hey, thank you so much for your help!

I found a compatible cable for my camera since my last message, but I'm still curious about this issue.

This connector is going straight to an AV cable (RCA), but the charger cable goes through a USB A connector, so it's not as simple as that. Maybe a multimeter will help me test it, but I don't have any more ideas.