show your picture,one by one

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
@ Mr,Chips,I don't kill spiders ,I watch them...in the speaker box

at the do-nut shop..I see a black widow web....I know the web

because I have them watched for a long time...they stay close the ground

for most part and come out at night. The orb spider shown...

some where I have close up picture of the face. I was just thinking

of all my outdoors photo I have and video.
So you do have more than just one photo. Interesting indeed:rolleyes:
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
I've always heard that called a banana spider. They put on a little show if you get too close - threatening to come right out of that web and land on your neck
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
I've always heard that called a banana spider. They put on a little show if you get too close - threatening to come right out of that web and land on your neck
Never seen one do that before. They're very tolerant. When I was a kid I'd go out in my garden and poke at them with stiff pieces of grass. They wouldn't even twitch.
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
It really looks like a variety of banana spider. Mabey one from GA or AL without as many stripes.
I think you're right. A banana spider is probably just another name for what I learned to be a garden spider. Nicknames, of course. I wish we had an arachnologist here to give us the genus and species. Would sure clear things up! :p
 

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
You see fire ant research on my bio,no one ever gets stung to

mention anything about it. I am trying to get Bryant to Invite me

to Texas,on her dime.
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
And this thing.


These are probably the most common spiders here other then LBS's.
I think I found one of those up in Vermont several years ago. I remember it because it struck me that it was so far from home....

Yah their all over the place here. Look creepy but never give anyone problems. Banana spiders are the worst because they build these huge webs you walk into in the woods and its just crazy the amount of silk you have to pick off you.
Their webs are extraordinarily strong. I always thought the zigzag pattern beneath where the spider sits was a nice touch. Keeps the spider from getting stuck. The engineering behind those webs is incredible, too. If you take a small piece of grass and touch a corner of the web, the whole thing will vibrate violently. Guess that's how the spider knows if it's got a snack :D

You see fire ant research on my bio,no one ever gets stung to

mention anything about it. I am trying to get Bryant to Invite me

to Texas,on her dime.
I was in Florida about ten years ago. I was visiting an old friend of mine in Port St. Lucie. I went out in his back yard and stepped right in a fire ant nest. I'm telling you, those things can be painful! :eek:
 

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
You are getting close to Loosewire country,some of the guys know

Fort,Lauderdale very well and have travel here.....some have kin folk

here.
 
My friend served 5 years in AL in the 90's. He said the brown recluse infestation was out of control. He said people got bit on a regular basis. They'd fashion face guards and try to seal themselves in the bunks. Sounded like hell.
 
Top