show your picture,one by one

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
I know our spiders aren't as big or dangerous as some, but I threw this one out of a first floor (US second floor) window and heard it hit the ground.

 

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
@Derstrom,check out the name,someone should know. If it is a brown recluse

it is a very dangerous spider. We had one member get very ill from a bite. Don't

remember who,but it was very bad. @Mark77,we call your a daddy long legs

which is poisious...but has a small mouth that can't bite you...don't test it

out. The black widow spider,do you have them in England...that the one with

a hour glass marking which is red.
 
Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
I think mine is actually pretty similar to Derstrom's, here's a different angle:

We call a different thing daddy long legs, ours is a flying insect, but Mythbusters tried with your daddy long legs and the bites weren't venomous.
We don't have any black widows, in fact there aren't many dangerous animals here, probably the worst are adders but they aren't venomous enough to kill a healthy adult and they aren't aggressive.
 

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,198
@Derstrom,check out the name,someone should know. If it is a brown recluse

it is a very dangerous spider. We had one member get very ill from a bite. Don't

remember who,but it was very bad. @Mark77,we call your a daddy long legs

which is poisious...but has a small mouth that can't bite you...don't test it

out. The black widow spider,do you have them in England...that the one with

a hour glass marking which is red.
oooh! We have an arachnid expert on site!
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
@Derstrom,check out the name,someone should know. If it is a brown recluse

it is a very dangerous spider. We had one member get very ill from a bite. Don't

remember who,but it was very bad.
Don't worry, I know what Brown Recluses look like. I have seen them before--had one nested inside an old radio (strange, considering they prefer clothing). It started attacking my screwdriver. I could see the venom bubbling out of its fangs.

But no, this one is much larger (about 4 times the size). I have also come across a lot of HUGE wolf spiders (well, huge for Vermont, anyway). Had one come out of the washing machine on a pair of pants once. That thing was a monster--about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter, which is giant for spiders in VT.



@Mark77,we call your a daddy long legs

which is poisious...but has a small mouth that can't bite you...don't test it

out.
This is what I've always been told a daddy longlegs is:



The other one may be a breed of wolf spider, though I don't think it is, and yes, I think it's the same as the first image I posted a while ago.

Garden spiders are also very popular around here. We have the harmless ones and the ones that bite. Hard.

These are the harmless ones, and are the most common:



These are the dangerous ones:

 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
we call that a mosquito hawk here in Texas.

I've never heard of a daddy long legs (spider) getting 6-10 inches. Biggest one's I've seen were no more than 1".
The ones around here range from 2-3". There are also indoor spiders that some people call daddy longlegs, but they're not. Technically daddy longlegs aren't spiders, though they are in the arachnid family. The indoor ones are spiders.
 

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
@ Mr,Chips,I don't kill spiders ,I watch them...in the speaker box

at the do-nut shop..I see a black widow web....I know the web

because I have them watched for a long time...they stay close the ground

for most part and come out at night. The orb spider shown...

some where I have close up picture of the face. I was just thinking

of all my outdoors photo I have and video.
 
Top