Reversing DC motor controll

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Post #31 the TS states
The chance of the motor locking up or stalling is for all practical purposes “0”. The motor has a 90:1 gear reduction. It will be Turning a shaft winding a strap to lift no more than 100 lbs Think of a winch of sorts
So yes, that's overkill for sure.

Also, as @MisterBill2 brings up - how do you intend to detect position using limit switches?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My final thought on this thread is that the TS hasn't responded since Sunday (two days ago). I'll assume he has enough information to move forward with his project. That arguing these points further is fruitless and may be an exercise in futility. Till I see another response from the TS - I'm out-a-here.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No telling, really. It could be a mobile winch re-purposed to be used as an indoor hoist of some kind. I have seen things like that done, a 2000# hoist used to lift a hundred or so pounds. Of course, it is a complex challenge to create a reliable hoist with a 250 pound capacity, and when I can buy the higher capacity unit ready to pug in and lift, at Harbor Freight for less than $100 most folks would choose that route. Not everybody can turn a retired paper shredder into a hoist. But it made one client happy to see that done.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Its important to know the make/model# of motor being used. Some motors have solenoids attached to control up/dn, or fwd/rev, movement.

1609967510561.png