Replacing Tactile Switch

gossamer

Joined Jan 16, 2022
Hi, I need help determining which switches to use to replace the ones that are intermittent on the controls for my electric blanket. I believe it's this one, based on how it looks, but I don't know whether or how to determine if it's 24v or 12v. The switches don't always work when pressed.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/TL1105LF250Q/EG2506-ND/378972?itemSeq=387374582

I have experience replacing defective electronics, but not necessarily enough to understand all about how those electronics work. Can I determine the voltage by measuring the voltage across the pins when the button is pressed? Is the 12v and 24v values the amount that's required to activate the switch, or the amount of voltage it will support?tactile-switch-blanket-40.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Those are a very standard sort of switch. You don't really have to worry about ratings since they are undoubtedly just inputs to a microcontroller. The critical thing will be the exact height from the board to the top of the actuator. Make sure that matches and you should have no problem.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
These are single pole, single throw switches. A contact closes when the switch is pressed. To find the voltage being used, measure the voltage between solder joints on opposite corners of a switch when it is not pressed. These switches are readily available at most electronic suppliers with various lengths of actuators.

gossamer

Joined Jan 16, 2022
6x6x12mm Mini Miniature Push Button Switch PCB Mounted SPST OFF-(ON) | eBay
Or similar. Check! Don't take my word for it.
Good luck........
That absolutely looks closer than the 17mm switch I found - I measured the height of the switch with my micrometer and it's closer to 12mm from the bottom of the switch on the top of the board to the top of the actuator. It also measures closer to 5x5mm at the mount.

Have any idea of where to find one here in the States? A quick search on ebay here returned nothing, so perhaps I'm not searching properly?

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
" That absolutely looks closer than the 17mm switch I found "
You could cut/ grind off the surplus height. Experiment on one of you old switches.
Good luck........