Programmer is not responding, not in sync

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Whatever sketch I open or create, from whatever source, it fails to upload with a whole raft of errors. Here's an extract of them:

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
etc

I studied this link:
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
but found no solution. I read several posts about this but most replies were over my head.
I'm an Arduino novice and I'd appreciate any help please.

The most puzzling thing is that I HAVE successfully run this sketch before on another PC. But retrying today that gave me the same frustrating result!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I read your earlier posts and your getting started posts....when you use XP and their old USB ports and you use newer software, like Arduino IDE 1.8+, you are going to run into problems and cause yourself heartache. You are just starting out - use associated hardware that is in line with the software. Also, use good cables and completely clean out installations when you have to re-do them.

People (including myself) can still use Arduino IDE with XP, but it can be a chore.

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Thanks for that fast and helpful reply Raymond.

The current issue is with the UNO using IDE 1.8.9 with COM3 on my Win 10 PC. I last used the board yesterday on my XP (SP3) PC, also under IDE 1.8.9.

Whatever I upload, I get the same sort of messages. I've done all the obvious thing like unplugging, changing USB ports (the Arduino COM stays at 3), rebooted, reset button/restart/etc. Still the same. A previously uploaded sketch (on my XP PC) just continues running.

Does this mean my UNO has somehow become corrupted? If not, how should I proceed to recover normal operation please?

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
If your using windows XP you and a clone uno windows XP has no driver for clones you have to install them.
"The current issue is with the UNO using IDE 1.8.9 with COM3 on my Win 10 PC. I last used the board yesterday on my XP (SP3) PC, also under IDE 1.8.9."

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I too use Xp and the 1.8.8. IDE version... At home I use win10 with no issues at all… The only thing I have noticed is the IDE now caters for many many different boards.. The IDE no longer auto detects the ardunio.. If you press "get board info" in the tools menu ,and nothing is returned, then the board isn't being recognised... Is the board actually on COM3 ? This isn't usually a port selected by USB devices.. There is a "port" menu option in the tools menu.. My version is 1.8.8. I won't upgrade yet as I have a pic32 option and a MK66 option. Until these core's are updated I stay where I am..

Which board are you using? Is it an original UNO or a clone?

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Thanks Ian, appreciate all the practical help I can get. This is so frustrating because I have previously run many sketches on both my XP (shed) PC and my Win 10 (house) PC. Yet right now both are giving the same problem.

My board is the Elegoo clone, 'Elegoo UNO R3', with the ATMEGA328P chip. Board (Arduino/Genuino Uno) and port (COM3) are set correctly. But, if it's relevant, the error messages I reported in my opening post includes the line "Using Programmer : arduino", although under Tools > Programmer I see 'AVRISPmkII'. And the drop-down list does not have an entry that is exactly the single word 'arduino'.

I've just returned from an hour or two reinstalling IDE on the XP PC with no joy. I've tried both 1.89 and 1.06. BTW, for me both need Compatibility Mode to be set to Windows 2000 (I've no idea why)..

Did you use the 'automatic' install, using for example
upload_2019-5-27_12-26-19.png
Or did you use an alternative method that I understand requires installing the drivers manually?

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
There is no drivers installed for clones using the ch340 usb to serial
Thanks but as mentioned I’m an Arduino novice and I don’t understand what you mean. Are you saying that I am using a port called ch340 USB to Serial? And that the instructions I’ve followed (from the PDF included with my Elegoo UNO 3) are incomplete in some way?

I’m willing to try anything. So can you spell out exactly how I should proceed to test your suggestion please?

Using Win 10

Remove any bluetooth receiver.
Turn off any antivirus completely.
Plug the Clone into a USB 2.0 Port
edited to add: run Arduino IDE software as administrator
Load Blink from the Arduino IDE [File -> examples -> 01.Basic -> Blink
Set verbose mode [File-> preferences -> check both boxes, upload and compilation]
edited to add: Attempt to upload the sketch
Copy that long string of information that scrolls by on the bottom panel/window, into a txt file
Attach that text file to a post

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
He has a clone 90% use ch340 for usb to serial
The arduino ide doent have thst driver windows doesnt have that driver
You have to installl it yourself

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
He has a clone 90% use ch340 for usb to serial
The arduino ide doent have thst driver windows doesnt have that driver
You have to installl it yourself
Looking at the Elegoo Uno R3, it appears to have a genuine ATMEL16U2 with onboard USB, so should behave exactly the same as the original UNO R3.. I doubt it uses the CH340.. I would try a different cable and try a different port... USB cables are horrendous cables and prone to falter... If you plug in an Arduino or clone you should still hear the USB connecting sound, or a message saying "Failed" at the very least.

I believe that the board he has uses an FTDI driver. He bought this https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...programming-skills.159472/page-2#post-1392663

In the documents that he downloaded, or received on disk, there is a pdf specifically with instructions for installing the driver on Win 10. That pdf is in the English sub folder and is called ELegoo UNO R3 , MEGA, DRIVER FAQ.pdf.pdf including the double .pdf.pdf I am looking at it now.

Those instructions are step-by-step. @Terrypin if you have not done that yet, do so now. If you have followed them, I am hoping you will follow the instructions in my post #11 and post that log.

If you are comfortable going into the device manager, it would also be helpful to know what it sees there...is there an Arduino Uno, etc..

I think that the IDE is not communicating with the board. Either you have not installed the driver, or Win 10 is not letting you use it or is otherwise confused...again see post #11.

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Thanks both.

As mentioned, this is a sudden problem. I installed exactly as the PDF and then successfully completed several tutorials from Arduino, Elegoo, and Simon Monk’s book. The problem started on the XP PC and I came into the house to use the Win 10, but dismayed to find that too the same.

I will follow the steps you suggest, Raymond, but right now I’m worried that the System Restore I started 10 mins ago is never going to finish - a new problem!

I must have read 50 or so posts over the last two days and have even now ordered a new UNO 3 board from Amazon UK in desperation.

Those UNOs and even the clones are hard to break, not impossible, but not easy doing what you have been doing. It is MUCH more likely that WIN 10 is being a jerk.

Continue with your restore and the other steps. Chances are that in a few days, you will have two UNOs and they both will be working.

Hang in there!

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
There are clones of the Elegoo Uno R3
The Ts is a driver problem
There nothing wrong with clones the problem is with drivers and wrongly posting from the clone makers
I've seen lots of uno calming to have something else .
And there are Elegoo Uno R3 with ch340 or google said there was.
I have no idea what the TS has but I do know he is having a driver problem.
I just did a clean install on windows 10 and Ubuntu on a new computer
And windows XP on the computer I use my new USBScope on
I for fun installed the Arduino 1.8.9 on the XP box
I got the same error the TS has with a nano it showed up on comport 3 but that wasn't it.
the device showed there was no usb to serial loaded but after loading the driver it shows up as com4
I then got a error agin guess what this was.
The cloned nano is using a oldboot loader so avrdude still didn't find it.
Changed a setting to use old boot loader and it loaded fine.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Windows 10 turns driver signing on every update that could be the TS problem too with windows 10.
On Xp I had to let it install the unsigned drivers.
For both the FDTI and ATMega16U2 chip plus my ch340
about 6 clicks telling it was ok to use them
Windows 10 i had to turn signing off.

And Ubuntu I had to do nothing it loads them right out of the box.

Terrypin

Joined Feb 5, 2016
@be80be

But how can I square that diagnosis with the behaviour I've described? The board DID work until a couple of days ago! The cable is OK (I found a replacement to test it.) COM3 is consistently reported. And the identical problem occurs on two PCs.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Open up the device manger and then open ports and post a screen shot
It should look like this only it should show what chip your using for usb to serial
sc.JPG

Last edited: