Power board have built-in protection circuit to prevent electrocution

brianWreaves

Joined Sep 16, 2021
Are power boards designed with circuit to help prevent electrocution?

While testing the 240V power board (BN44-00807A) in my Samsung UA50JU6400 TV, I shocked myself. I was testing the voltage output to the LEDs with my meter and unfortunately touched the metal shaft at the end of the meter's probe. It was quite a jolt and now the LEDs don't turn on. The other power boards' with LEDs are lighting up so the entire board isn't dead.

My question is, are power boards designed to protect those of us who may have earned a Darwin Award, buy damaging itself instead killing us off??? If so, suggestions on how might I test this?

The close up image is the pin-out of the plug I was probing, with only pins #1, 4, 9, 12 having wires in them.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Generally speaking -- no!
In all the products I ever designed there was nothing special to protect people who wanted to check things out. Some of our products had UL certification, so whatever was there was in the components we used.
Winners of a Darwin Award don't usually require protection from much of anything. I'm just sayin'

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My question is, are power boards designed to protect those of us who may have earned a Darwin Award
No.
If you poke around in a power board, the designer assumes you know what your are doing.
They don't design to protect Darwin wannabes. :eek:
When repairing TVs that run on mains voltage i always use an isolating transformer to protect my self.
Or plug the TV into a GFCI socket.