Pallet shrink wrapper automation.

Timbat365

Joined Dec 9, 2019
Hi, I know this is a simple one for most of you but I’m quite new to this so please be gentle. I have an old pallet wrapper that I would like to automate. I still want to be able to use it in it’s current form so was going to start with a “manual/ auto” selector switch after the turntable has started spinning (cable 5) with manual obviously continuing on its current path and auto branching off to a new control circuit. I pretty much would like it to move up for about 2 seconds then stall for about 2 seconds and continue that process until it hits the top limit switch then automatically switch to doing the same thing whilst coming down and then once it’s hit it’s bottom limit switch somehow unlatch the turntable so that it’s sitting idle ready to be reset via the start button? Hoping to do it cheaply with timers and relays if possible, I know it would be simple with a PLC but I can’t justify the cost. Please help!0D5F4E07-9C12-4661-92D7-A890872C56CA.pngFA851001-C749-4844-81A2-8225B316F288.png

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
A PLC is the answer I'm afraid. You could look for something second-hand on ebay. Then you need the programming and development software. For some makes, this can be downloaded free. For other makes: hideously expensive.
Then, of course, you need to know some process control basics. Look up "State Machine".

Timbat365

Joined Dec 9, 2019
Sorry for the VERY delayed response, a lot of things came up and I’m just getting back to this now. I am budget limited and have plenty of timer relays. I think stepping it up and stalking it may have added unnecessary complexity. If I just wanted the turntable to turn after pressing a start button and then automatically the wrapping carriage would go up for a set amount of time then automatically down for a set amount of time then switch everything off.... Would my drawing work? I’m not very experienced in this field so please bear with me if it’s complete rubbish!

Attachments