News from SgtWookie

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Wook,
You know we all love you man. If you need anything holler and we will do what we can to help. Too bad you are so far away, you could stay at my place but it would be a long drive back and forth to follow up appointments. Get well we all miss you and hope you get back soon.
Bob

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, my sister miraculously showed up at around 8pm last night. Seems she has a handle on her roommate situation; her roommate is very unbalanced. So, today my sis is sorting out more of my stuff that was all thrown in random boxes, and I'm continuing to hang out in my hospital room with occasional laps around the floor.

I'm still having intermittent low fevers, which now seems to be the main reason I'm still in the hospital.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Well, my sister miraculously showed up at around 8pm last night. Seems she has a handle on her roommate situation; her roommate is very unbalanced. So, today my sis is sorting out more of my stuff that was all thrown in random boxes, and I'm continuing to hang out in my hospital room with occasional laps around the floor.

I'm still having intermittent low fevers, which now seems to be the main reason I'm still in the hospital.
Well it's good to hear that you're still on the up-and-up. I hope you get well soon. I'm looking forward to seeing you posting regularly again ;)

Best wishes

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, they removed my Pic line yesterday (no, it has nothing to do with any Microchip products; it was a type of IV manifold where they could dump meds almost straight into my heart) and started me on an anti-inflammatory med that also promotes fast healing. The combination of the two seems to have stabilized my temp where it should be, so it looks like I may be transferred out of here as soon as this afternoon.

On one hand, that means I'm getting better, which is good.
On the other hand, I'll be in rather small quarters with no view, quite probably no Internet access (at least initially), have a roommate whom I've never met, and unless my sister can find my charger, no telephone either. I won't be able to drive for at least another couple of weeks after a doc's OK; until then I have to ride in the back seat. Can't lift anything over 10 lbs. Getting dressed is a lot more difficult when your breastbone has been split in two; as you can't put any stress on it. Also, I'm going to have to wait on the 2nd surgery to correct the blood flow to my legs until I'm over the 1st surgery and my red blood cell count is back to normal (it's still a good bit low).

And That's the news from Lake Woebegon.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It sounds like a sh177y situation to be in, sorry to hear about it.

I have a question for you Sgt, and all you older guys around. When you lose you physical prowess and start to rely on others, what do you substitute you physical strength with, in order to feel independent, strong and self assured?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It sounds like a sh177y situation to be in, sorry to hear about it.

I have a question for you Sgt, and all you older guys around. When you lose you physical prowess and start to rely on others, what do you substitute you physical strength with, in order to feel independent, strong and self assured?
I have a .44 magnum, several .30-06's, an AR-15, several other rifles, shotguns and handguns, and about 20,000 rounds of ammo.

Don't **** me off. ;)

I have a very long fuse. It's not pleasant when I get to the end of it; I don't like to go there at all.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I kept running into physical limitations that I couldn't explain. I finally got my doc to refer me to someone who could refer me to someone who could figure out what was wrong.

Once I get the circulation to my legs corrected, I'll be well on my way back to fully operational. Right now I'm pretty limited in what I can do - it's not really my fault, some of it is related to genetics.

Anyway, it looks like I am getting discharged in the morning. Doc Weaver, the Doc who did my cardiac cath and discovered I needed a quad bypass and also needed bypass work in both legs, stopped by and finished up the paperwork this evening (a blizzard of prescriptions); my reservation at the recovery facility is locked in, so I'll go down to get my prescriptions filled in the AM, see my regular doc briefly, and head to the recovery place.

I don't know how busy I'll be in the morning, or exactly what the schedule will be, so I figured I might as well strike while the iron is hot - and I have web access.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Will you be transferred to another hospital or to another room? I couldn't tell from the previous posts.

Do you draw? I always ask for a notepad when I 'm in a hospital room, it soothes me.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Will you be transferred to another hospital or to another room? I couldn't tell from the previous posts.
I will be at another facility, several miles from the hospital.
The facility is for ambulatory patients who are recovering from surgery. Basically, the patients need to be able to take care of themselves (shower, dress, eat, etc.) and not require any medical attention other than distribution of medications.

Do you draw? I always ask for a notepad when I 'm in a hospital room, it soothes me.
I have the artistic ability of a dead worm. I can do mechanical drawings OK if I have the tools. I do best on the computer, because I can adjust things to my liking very quickly. My penmanship is lousy and I write very slowly. I can type more than three times as fast as I can print, but when I type, I can read the results.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Since Wookie is almost out of the hospital and hopefully out of danger I am unsticking this thread. It will stay on top with the occasional bump, but will eventually sink out of site.

I am really happy to see that Wookie made it though this.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm still not discharged from the hospital. They say it's supposed to happen today, but it's already 3:30pm and they're not ready yet. It apparently has to do with some confusion over my medications, and the hospital not having a sufficient stock on hand of one or more of the meds I need. It's getting to be somewhat absurd. At this point, I'm hoping that they'll just keep me over night, and release me in the morning. I really don't want to be out in rush-hour traffic. I won't be driving, and my sister isn't used to driving in this city. It's suggested that I ride in the back seat until my recovery is completed.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Riding in the back seat is a "must do" because you don't want the possibility of an airbag going off and hitting you in the chest. In fact, you would be better to sit in the middle of the back seat if the vehicle has side bags. That's the safest place for you. And of course, don't forget to buckle up! (Use the lap belt but not the shoulder belt).