Newbie made is first PCB... help! :

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Ok, this is the smallest physically board I could make.
It's started out at 30€ for 3 boards... this version is 10€ for 3 boards... so at least it's something.
I used smaller traces considering the current used.
Ground plane on the bottom, power plane on top.
Stayed 50% on the safe zone considering the manufacturer capabilities (4/4). I'm doing 8/8.
The only thing I'm not sure, do I leave unconnected copper areas?
Did I push it too far? or it's a go?
You are safe at 8/8. I generally use 10 mil traces but you are fine. Definitely connect the copper areas to ground. Though, I don't see any unconnected ones on your board.

In the electronics industry there is an old saying: Sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and ship the product. What's the worst possible thing that can happen at this point? You tossed a tenner? Not the end of the world. But the odds of that look pretty low to me.

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
You are safe at 8/8. I generally use 10 mil traces but you are fine. Definitely connect the copper areas to ground. Though, I don't see any unconnected ones on your board.

In the electronics industry there is an old saying: Sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and ship the product. What's the worst possible thing that can happen at this point? You tossed a tenner? Not the end of the world. But the odds of that look pretty low to me.
Common... first PCB... :D :D

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi guys, so i'm designing my first PCB... After many modifications I've come up with something I'm happy with.
But after educating myself around the web, i've come to realize that there are SO many conflicting rules and considerations... I'm just not sure of myself.
So, if anyone could be kind enough to give me feedback on the board I would appreciate.
The purpose of the board (beside making me learn in the process) is to control 64 leds independently... or more connecting another one in series. The chip used is going to be MAX7219.
Some pics:
I am looking at the very narrow gap that I see in many places and this circuit will need to include solder mask on both top and bottom. Not a problem for any board manufacturer, but a challenge for those etching the boards themselves. Bigger gaps between traces make both assembly and servicing easier.

View attachment 1446 View attachment 144625

is first?""??" sorry for my english... newbie made his first PCB... :D