Negative Voltage Output from Logic Level Input

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If I'm understanding correctly, the only pin of the FET connected to my generated negative signal should be the gate, which is perfectly acceptable
Unfortunately not. The 0V connections must be common.
You also have the MOSFET wired as a source follower, so the maximum voltage you can get at the source will be about 3V more than the gate voltage (say 8V from a 5V gate signal).

AI1999

Joined Feb 17, 2023
Forget about charge pumps and look at his proposed circuit in post #17.
There’s no common ground, and he is hoping to use the depletion MOSFET as a source follower switching 250V DC.
It needs a complete rethink.
Why is it a bad idea to use a MOSFET as a load switch in a source follower configuration?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Why is it a bad idea to use a MOSFET as a load switch in a source follower configuration?
In order for the voltage drop across the FET to be its absolute minimum possible value (lowest Rdson), the gate must be more positive than the source by several volts. For most power MOSFETs, 10 V is the recommended value. That is, higher than the circuit Vcc. There are gate driver chips that have a charge pump built-in for this.

ak

AI1999

Joined Feb 17, 2023
In order for the voltage drop across the FET to be its absolute minimum possible value (lowest Rdson), the gate must be more positive than the source by several volts. For most power MOSFETs, 10 V is the recommended value. That is, higher than the circuit Vcc. There are gate driver chips that have a charge pump built-in for this.

ak
Does this apply to depletion mode MOSFETs as well? Would I have a much lower Rdson at Vgs =10V vs Vgs =0V with a depletion mode MOSFET?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Does this apply to depletion mode MOSFETs as well? Would I have a much lower Rdson at Vgs =10V vs Vgs =0V with a depletion mode MOSFET?
Yes. Unlike JFETS, the gate voltage of a depletion MOSFET can be taken positive, and it may (depending on the device) reduce RdsOn.