Need help with a car amplifier repair

-Teh-

Joined Oct 6, 2020
So I have a car amplifier that was making "farting" noises and I took it apart and noticed why it was doing that. Poor connection16019671318952646107752205072649.jpg
My question is how would I go about repairing this properly could I just use a wire and solder it to the broken spots to make a bridge?

prairiemystic

Joined Jun 5, 2018
It looks like the pcb traces are defective or corroded? If they fused there would be signs of heat. It seems to be bottlenecks or skinny sections in the run that are open. It does look like cheap manufacturing of the pc board but not sure in a fuzzy pic.

If the car amp has a bad (high-current) ground, it will pull ground current through anything else like the chassis or input RCA's which usually cooks and melts traces. No paint or loose screws on the main ground connections.
I would solder-bridge the gaps and consider adding a small piece of braid or wire on top to help out with the high current.

You didn't say make/model or how many watts, or what these traces are about. If they are the 12V power or GND or audio amp output.

-Teh-

Joined Oct 6, 2020
It looks like the pcb traces are defective or corroded? If they fused there would be signs of heat. It seems to be bottlenecks or skinny sections in the run that are open. It does look like cheap manufacturing of the pc board but not sure in a fuzzy pic.

If the car amp has a bad (high-current) ground, it will pull ground current through anything else like the chassis or input RCA's which usually cooks and melts traces. No paint or loose screws on the main ground connections.
I would solder-bridge the gaps and consider adding a small piece of braid or wire on top to help out with the high current.

You didn't say make/model or how many watts, or what these traces are about. If they are the 12V power or GND or audio amp output.
It's a Rockford fosgate punch 300-1 it was a poor amp install from the previous owners I don't really know what the reaches are about but the amp was making farting noises so it could be anything I re soldered the connections and put a butyl rubber barrier on the chassis where the spots are located. Then I sanded down the ground to bare metal hopefully that will fix it till I decided to buy a skar system.

Last edited: