LED Ribbon-Spec VS Reality

Geemoney123

Joined Oct 31, 2023
I have a general question, but it refers to a specialty brand. Im looking to redo an LED "Wall" which is just a bunch of rolls of ribbon on some thin plywood painted white, that's about 18" back from some large pieces of milk plex to create a "wall of light". I plan on redoing it with this stuff- LITE RIBBON CHROMA CINE-FIVE RGB+HY24V5M. The spec sheet attached says it pulls 120 watts, or 5 amps total. Im curious if they mean 5 amps "per channel" or if that means 1 amp per channel. Also. If it is 5 amps per channel, does that mean its 120 watts per channel as well? If so, I need a 600 watt power supply and 5x8 dmx decoder per 5 meter roll of ribbon?! This seems crazy to me, but since the decoders are listed "by channel" (4x4 5x8 24x4 etc), it makes me think the ribbon could be as well. Im sorry if this is a dumb question.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A quick read of the spec says 'potential' 5A, that's not much of a technical product power usage description for X configuration. That specialty product looks expensive, so I would call or message their product support for answers to all your questions.

Geemoney123

Joined Oct 31, 2023
Unless you need high color accuracy for film or video, there's probably some generic RGB strips that would work for less money.
Its for a tv show called Lego Masters, and they've been using the 12v cheap stuff for a while. I finally just got them to agree on buying some higher quality 24v, and I wanted some clarification on power draw. I ended up hitting up lite gear and they told me what I needed to know

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Its for a tv show called Lego Masters, and they've been using the 12v cheap stuff for a while. I finally just got them to agree on buying some higher quality 24v, and I wanted some clarification on power draw. I ended up hitting up lite gear and they told me what I needed to know
Great, what did they say?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So what was the answer?
And now I am wondering what was the problem with the cheap LEDs? It happens that I have a roll of them and I was thinking about a project. So if there are issues it will be good to know in advance.