Issue simulating a three phase bridge in LTspice

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
I'm simulating a simple three phase bridge rectifier that I have attached. I'm learning LTspice, so I don't know many tricks yet. The point is that everything is fine until I add the line inductors. Why do the inductors disrupt the waveform like that? The green waveform is before the inductor, and the blue waveform after the inductor. I took V1 as example. The same pattern repeats at V2 and V3.

The inductor and capacitor values are taken from a real application circuit. The rectifier diodes breakdown voltage is 1000V, however, the highest I found in LTspice is 750V.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Label the nodes, so it's easier to know what I'm looking at (Use Edit/Label Net command).

Adding the inductors creates a resonant circuit, which generates ringing from the diodes suddenly turning off each cycle.
In real life, there may be enough parasitic/stray series resistance in the circuit to damp that ringing.
What is the resistance of the actual inductors in the real application circuit?

Post your .asc file

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
In the scheme presented, not enough high-voltage diodes are used and very high currents develop. I replaced the diodes with higher voltage diodes and everything became normal. I need diodes for voltages of at least 1200 V. I have taken on 2000 V.
3Phase_Rec.png

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
The fastest thing you can do is find the files on my web page:
http://bordodynov.ltwiki.org
This is a small CMP.zip file.
Write the contents into the "cmp" folder. Read my page carefully, especially where the files should be stored.
...LTspiceXVII\lib\cmp
Ok. I'll have a look. Another question: the circuit I want to simulate, the one I attached in post # 3, uses a 43V zener diode, but LTspice standard library does not have it. Can I use two zener in series? 33V and 10V.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
I have updated the .asc file by adding the rest of the circuit. I think I'm having issues with the -13V reference. I added a 290 ohm resistor as the load for the FET. The coil in the real circuit has a DC resistance of 290 ohm +/- 10%. I don't have the expected 13.25V at the output of the LM317 with respect to GND.

This is what I expect from the circuit (See attachment Module.PNG) :

"As the ground is defined as the point between the two output capacitors, then D15 establishes the most negative voltage as -13V.
D14 then puts the ADJ pin of the regulator at +12V, which means that the regulator output is 12 + 1.25 = 13.25V.
D8 regulates the gate of Q1 at 43V above the negative rail, for an absolute voltage of +30V relative to ground. Note that Q1 is wired as a current limiter.

Since I'm measuring the input of the regulator at +27V, then there's a difference of 3V between that point and the gate of Q1. Most of this is the threshold voltage of Q1, but there will also be a voltage drop across R2 + R3 that depends on the load current.

D7 limits that voltage to 10V at most, which means that the maximum current that can flow through R2 + R3 is about 7/515 = 13.6 mA — at which point, the input voltage to the regulator will have dropped to about 20 V. Presumably, this range of current is not enough to activate the coil.

If TR1 is triggered, then the current is limited only by R2, which means that about 1.37 A will flow through the coil, at least until the power source is cut off. When the coil is turned on, the power line is removed."

Attachments